Amazon SES is no longer the less expensive transactional email service

So I hope I’m not wrong here… but I was under the impression from reading around that Amazon SES was the less expensive transaction email service.
Well, there was this cheaper option which is to rape Mxroute, but… @Jarland and @Miguel don’t really like that flavor.

So with was with a bit of surprise that I noticed that Elastic Mail is actually cheaper when in volume.

https://elasticemail.com/pricing/

On another forum that will remain unnamed… it was said that Elastic Email uses Amazon SES. So what am I missing here?

I wouldn’t trade Amazon’s SES deliverability and reliability to save a few extra cents on 1k emails sent.

If Elastic Email would be using Amazon SES, that’d still not change my mind to switch.

2 Likes

I think you got it all wrong. We were never meant to be the cheapest; we provide not only SMTP Relay Service as Outbound SPAM Filtering. Our offer is completely different than Amazon SES / Elastic Email which use SES anyway. Plus $7 USD per day for Premium Support, and $1 USD per GB of attachments, we dont do that. We provide 24/7 support and we dont bill extra for support or attachments.

I think you got my post wrong, read it again, in a lighter mood.
…that lunch wine went straight thru you today :wink:

1 Like

I’d think that if Elastic Email is using Amazon’s SES, then you would have the exact same Amazon’s SES deliverability and reliability you have now.

…or I’m missing something.

1 Like

Ahhhh I see what you mean. Yeah, dunno if they have some sort of custom setup though but the network is the same. I have read that they are indeed using SES.

Btw come to Leiria right now. I’ll pay you a few beers.

I wish, today I’m all alone with my younger kid, the little bastard made a dump so big I had to give him shower and 404 that diaper into a blackhole.

2 Likes

410 might be more appropriate.

1 Like

But the emails would go through Elastic Email’s system first and then through Amazon SES to be delivered, no? I can’t imagine they’ll just give you the SES credentials directly. And this is where reliability changes, it won’t be the same for (1) privacy and (2) perhaps uptime.

Am not even sure if Elastic Email even uses Amazon SES, don’t see any Amazon SES ip ranges or any Amazon Web services ip ranges.

I’ve checked all the ip ranges in there SPF _spf.elasticemail.com it’s a mix of isp including Ovh.

They won’t give the SES credentials, nor shoudl they need to.
In order to use their server you need to configure dkim and spf.

I think you using their systems as the relay to SES makes no difference in regards to what SES will be doing for your email. Because (do correct me if I’m wrong), with SPF and DKIM properly configured, their service acts like your email server.

Yeah, someone on LET said they do. So I’d say its hearsay.

If I use their system to send out emails, and those emails go through their system first before being delivered by SES, then it is a problem, as I’ve mentioned above due to privacy and uptime concerns.

Now, I haven’t used their service, so I can’t say how they really have it set up, but it’s hard to imagine that when sending out emails, those emails don’t go through their system first, cause how else would they even track your stats/quotas.

Based on the ip ranges listed in the spf record there own docs tell client to use, I highly doubt they even use SES.

Oh yeah, I was speaking hypothetically, as I haven’t really looked into their setup.

They may use something like mxroute uses, to deliver emails to gmail, outlook, … they use SES. For email addresses on custom domains, they may use ovh??

Thats most likely how it works yeah. But, not sure. I have never used their service so I should not even be commenting it, or say that they use SES or not. Speaking from what I have heard, not what I have tested. Nevertheless, its indeed cheap, but has cons too. Just like any other service.

In regards to what could be the setup, their MTA can provide the auth etc and manage the smarthosts. Eg, if its a Gmail address it gets delivered using SES, if not, it can be delivered from OVH IPs etc etc.

Hi :),

I actually work for Elastic Email so I can give you some information straight from the source.
Elastic Email is one of the few companies that have their own MTA (Mail Transfer Agent). So we don’t use Amazon or any other provider. Almost everything is done by us. We use several anti-spam systems. Deliverability rate is quite high when comparing to competitors. 8 years on the market gave us lot of experience. We are stable and reliable email service provider.

I don’t want to promote us, but you actually can create a free account, verify your domain and do some tests.

1 Like

Heya Marcin, I hope you don’t mind me naging you a bit.
I’ve had an account with Mail Channels for quite a long time, never really used it to be honest.

One thing I don’t get is why the main account verified domains are visible to all sub accounts. The subaccounts seem to have all the features for your clients to resell your service, but then that odd thing…

To me what would make sense is for the main account (which would be your client) to be able to verify domains and assign them to subaccounts (as well as allow the subaccounts to verify their own domains).

What’s the thinking behind having the main account verified domains available to subaccounts?

Also, why not allow subaccounts to get access to your promo? (maybe tied them to different user accounts to avoid abuse, as in name, email, address details)

…why do you always inject the unsubscribe link/name/address? Why not give the option to the account admin to disable it?

Hey…

…just noticed you just joined, Welcome!!

1 Like