AMD Ryzen 3rd Generation Available Soon

You are distorting reality to make it Mach your own agenda mate.

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen

Quote the header for me, please, the part that says it’s a desktop CPU, please.

Also, seriously? Asrock is never coming near to my racks either. And the other one, c’mon with Audi jacks… these aren’t proper server boards. Same as AMD Ryzen is not a server CPU.

1 Like

got no agenda, someone else here might have one, or even two

It must suck to have invested like crazy in “professional” Intel stuff which is getting slower and slower with every new (microcode) update.

1 Like

I do have agenda but it’s got nothing to do with CPUs. It’s about the end.

1 Like

Intel CPUs became about 16% slower due to this year’s mitigations, while AMD CPUs were impacted only by 3%.

This difference is due to the fact that the latest “Zombieload” flaws only affect Intel CPUs.

Intel is losing ground in the CPU market, faster than ever before, and fixing the vulnerabilities are making the situation even worse.

The problem with CPU vulnerabilities is not only a problem of security but also a troubling matter that doesn’t allow engineers much practical margin for mitigating solutions. To put things simply, when a section of the CPU that allows it to process items faster is proven to be insecure, and by taking into account that there can’t be any hardware changes, the only way to deal with the problem is to shut the operation of that section down or make it vastly inefficient. In the most recent case of the ‘ZombieLoad’ flaw, as well as the rest of the Microarchitectural Data Sampling (MDS) mitigations, switching off hyperthreading and flushing buffer memory content more frequently are the ways to go.

These two changes are making Intel CPUs noticeably slower in their processing activities, enough to have a measurable impact. Expert Linux-based benchmarking website Phoronix run extensive tests on the impact of the MDS mitigations on heavy-intensity workloads. As expected, AMD hardware suffered a minor impact from the mitigations that came with the latest kernel update, as MDS vulnerabilities don’t affect AMD CPUs at all. The performance of Intel CPUs, however, has taken a considerable blow. Generally speaking, they have become 16% slower, without even calculating the additional impact that switching off hyper-threading would have.

1 Like

To be fair, Intel getting caught up was expected and it has been a circle.

This is quite similar to AMD athlon x64 era.

1 Like
News about AMD > Intel

Zombie Loading: Intel Patches Slow Down SSDs as AMD Gains Ground - Tom's Hardware | Tom's Hardware

How Screwed is Intel without Hyper-Threading? | TechSpot

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bprrtc/after_zombieload_software_mitigations_with/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-vs-intel-core-i9-9900k/

good read

1 Like

I will say one thing.

I refuse to read any articles nowadays. There are too many unqualified journalists out there who are on their own personal crusade of some sort.

Let it be politics or products. Just too many bad quality articles nowadays.

2 Likes

Amen! If it’s not from the Verge or CNN, then it’s not for me /s

3 Likes

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/10/18660213/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-16-core-gaming-cpu-processor-e3-2019

Ehm, someone obviously fail to grasp the sarcasm.

3 Likes

or mine :wink:

1 Like

3000 series (Zen 2) Epyc includes an 8 core part all the way to an 128 core part, which should be equivalent. And consumer Ryzen has always offered features that you can only really find on Intels enterprise products.

I don’t know why you’d still value professional/enterprise grade stuff as much as you do when you’ve been let down as much as you have. Do you really think it made a difference? People on Xeon 8110 Golds got fucked as much as some rando on a 2600K.

3 Likes

Affected CPUs and Mitigation

The researchers said that the original Foreshadow variant only affects Intel’s SGX-capable chips, which includes the Skylake generation and newer.

Meanwhile, the two Foreshadow-NG variants don’t seem to affect other chip providers so far and affect the following Intel chips:

Intel Core i3/i5/i7/M processor (45nm and 32nm)
2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/8th generation Intel Core processors
Intel Core X-series processor family for Intel X99 and X299 platforms
Intel Xeon processor 3400/3600/5500/5600/6500/7500 series
Intel Xeon Processor E3 v1/v2/v3/v4/v5/v6 family
Intel Xeon Processor E5 v1/v2/v3/v4 family
Intel Xeon Processor E7 v1/v2/v3/v4 family
Intel Xeon Processor Scalable family
Intel Xeon Processor D (1500, 2100)

I don’t know why a CPU thread is bringing out the worst in people, but if you can’t play nice then why bother.

6 Likes