Any Good Free Email Hosting?

Exactly, but most of the businesses offer a small free thing too. It would always be there for a reason.

Mostly yes, but not always. By current email provider doesnā€™t monetise from me at all.
But then it is a small service run by a Free/libre software enthusiast in his home.

Thanks for all the help, I understand what free means. I am a member of FSF.org too.

Wow, you owned MXRoute once upon a time? Why did you sell it?

1 Like

@Miguel owned MXroute.io, not MXroute.com. If this sounds potentially confusing, it was. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Then why not stay with them?

Thanks for clearing it up.

He is small home based hosting provider, he wishes to promote self-hosting at home and do not want me to reckon on him for life and slowly start to host it all myself.

I have no issues paying more for a good cause at all. I would pay 1984 from Iceland for a reason or support a software freedom loving company more vs Hetznerā€™s 2.49 EUR VM.

It is never about the money for me.

It is just that less and less information and reviews are available for Albahost.net or Kosovashells.com

I hope they popular too. Also, I hope to see a good native provider from India too. I hope to invest in one even if it is just 1% of the money needed.

Only because the income they get from paid customers is sufficient to cover the costs of all the free users, or theyā€™re willing to temporarily cover costs associated with free users in order to gain more popularity and (hopefully) more paid users :slight_smile:

Email in particular is tricky to offer for free, given one bad user has the potential to mess up your IP reputation.

5 Likes

Yes, it is very risky.

Hmm, then why this thread?

Those providers are clearly targeting their local population, they have no presence on forums such as this one or LET. There are probably some local reviews of these providers, but they would be in Albanian.

1 Like

For those who need? For suggesting to others? I canā€™t be sponsoring email for all. Even if it is 1 EUR a month.

Also to know all the good options in the world whether community hosted or from a commercial provider. Just in case I might consider donation to one of those.

Didnā€™t you feel good when you hear about NO based BuyPassā€™s ACME based free certs with 6 month renewals?

The reality is that most ordinary people who want/need a free email account will get one from Google, Yahoo, Outlook, Yandex, etc. Problem solved.

???

Who ever said anything about you sponsoring email for all?

1 Like

Hence we need some good options in mind for free email with custom domains. I opened it to know more available options and instead it got into a different talk altogether.

I may be mis-reading a bit between the lines here - and I wonā€™t mind to be shown that Iā€™m wrong if there might be some more coherent contributions to this discussion from our new ā€œjust signed up a day ago to ask about free servicesā€ friend here ā€¦ but so far Iā€™m not getting a real good vibe about the possible motivations behind this request for information.

@decipher - if you would be so kind as to humor me and walk me through your reasoning sir - slowly, gently, and perhaps even as if communicating with a cognitively impaired child, or possibly an inane troll, that would be most appreciated!

Iā€™ll do my best to anticipate answers to my questions to accelerate some progress through a simulated quasi-Socratic mono-dialogue (mostly for entertainment purposes only - but please let me know if you can suggest some other preferred direction for any step in this exercise)

you wrote:

So, letā€™s take it from there.

Q: why canā€™t you sponsor email for all, even if it is ā‚¬1 a month ?
A: because I am neither a huge business, nor am I sufficiently (insanely) wealthy as to sponsor email for all without regard to the cost.

Q: why are you not a huge business (etc.) ā€¦?
A: hmmm, thatā€™s a good question - well actually let me tell you all about my business ā€¦!

Q: okay fair enough - for the sake of discussion letā€™s say you were a huge business or a wealthy philanthropist
A: okay, great, now weā€™re talking science!

Q: what could possibly go wrong when giving away free email accounts ?
A: spam, spam, spam, phishing spam, other kinds of fraud, threats, harassment, spam, spam, spam, and more spam.

Q: anything else ?
A: well, I donā€™t know ā€¦ how about ā€¦ oh yeah - maybe some more spam!

Q: sounds like a big headache. Can you think of any ways to deal with those problems ?
A: sure - I can think of a few. But they are going to take some work ā€¦ and thatā€™s going to cost some money.

Q: well letā€™s say you were a wealthy philanthropist looking to put your money to work for the greater good. Would free email for all be your first priority?
A: Maybe ā€¦ I donā€™t know.

Q: why or why not?
A: ā€¦

okay, maybe this would be a good place to get some more better input from someplace other than my own head. :slight_smile:

Please proceed, Governor.

Be nice to our new friend, friends :slight_smile:

Tis what we do here.

:heart:

3 Likes

Youā€™ve become so lovey-dovey in your old age. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I figure thereā€™s plenty of venues to argue and berate people, but I see the toll they take on people. We could all use a place to relax.

5 Likes

I do not trust free email service these days.
Get something from Jarlands aka @Jarland like mxroute its 5$/y.
If you have a bigger wallet, you can get cheap Email hosting here as well: Email green, secure, simple and ad-free - posteo.de - for 12ā‚¬/y

2 Likes