Aruba Cloud - 20% off, recurring

Aruba Cloud is doing a promo till the 28 of May.
It’s a recurring 20% off their cloud offerings.

Was about to say now I can get a VPS for €0.80/mo, but it looks like it applies to their €6.50+ plans :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that 1€/mo is already as close to being free as one can be, IMHO.
I don’t think their 20% off is much of an offer… but I’m not a knowledgeable guy in this stuff so maybe you guys see the worth I’m unable to see. (maybe worth due to network?)

Agreed :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve been holding out on snagging one in both of the DCs that this is offered in until I have a use for them (project I’m working on that is still in the works). Debating if I should just snatch them up and idle them until I have stuff to put them to work or if I should just wait – just don’t want them to be no longer offered or out of stock when I eventually do need them.

I used a couple to play with a beta version of Joomla. Worked quite well.
But Aruba dashboard sucks!

1 Like

Can’t say I really touch dashboards at all aside from reinstalling the OS if needed, so that’s probably not a deal breaker for me. Especially for a buck a month :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as the server boots, connects to the internet, and has IPv6 then that’s all I need :slight_smile:

Last time I tried one of these (around 2 years ago) it sucked. CPU performance was pretty bad (I guess you can expect that for 1€ + VAT) and the network was slow. I was getting around 6MBps down from a server in Prague, which is just not acceptable.

Could someone comment on the current state of their network?

wget http://download.superhosting.cz/100mb.bin

I remember my first ever VPS I bought, it was from Aruba’s CZ location. It wasn’t that bad, especially not for the price.

1 Like

Thanks! Seems like they’ve gotten much better since the last time I used them. I might give them another shot then.

Not a deal breaker at all. The VPS worked quite well… I was surprised.
Specially considering it was powering a CMS website as opposite to a few static pages.

1 Like

I wonder how much of an issue is abuse and fraud for them.
Those 1€ must attract pretty much everyone and their dogs, and it must be a pipe dream for people, let’s say… operating less than desirable projects from the POV of a hosting company.

Not really. They’re the abusers themselves.

Howso?

Correcting my bullshit in a next post.

Sure sure…
//slowly walks backwards.

Link.

It’s not as bad as I remembered, but still. I have my concerns.

To be fair, I think any DC will work with the official hacking team of the country they are located at. I don’t even think they will get a choice in the matter. (national security and all that…)

How can they offer VPS on VMWare, I thought VMWare’s licensing was wayyyyy to harsh to be able to offer things out.

Depends on what you need. vSphere Hypervisor is free, but if you need any advanced features (Connection to vCenter Server for central management, backups), you need to shell out a ton of money.

I’m not talking about the financial implications, I should have been more explicit, I meant the licensing agreement.

You may not (i) sell, lease, license, sublicense, distribute or otherwise transfer in whole or in part the Software or the Software License Key to another party; (ii) provide, disclose, divulge or make available to, or permit use of the Software in whole or in part by, any third party (except Designated Administrative Access) without VMware’s prior written consent; (iii) modify or create derivative works based upon the Software; or (iv) create, develop, license, install, use, or deploy any third party software or services to circumvent, enable, modify or provide access, permissions or rights which violate the technical restrictions of the Software, any additional licensing terms provided by VMware via product documentation, notification, and/or policy change posted at www.vmware.com, and the terms of this EULA. Except to the extent expressly permitted by applicable law, and to the extent that VMware is not permitted by that applicable law to exclude or limit the following rights, you may not decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the Software, in whole or in part.

This bit of the EULA.