Atlassian

Heya guys.

I just came across atlassian self hosted pricing. A one time 10 bucks for confluence and another 10 bucks for jira. Services desk starts at 10 but gets pricy past 3 agents.

Seems like a low cost solution for most of the companies that peek around here.

You guys have any experience with these product?

JIRA is great, I have that one time 10€ deal.

Couple of notes:

• It’s really 10€/year since you want updates.
  • Atlassian relies on the fact that a startup will buy the 10€ license as it’s dirt cheap for such a product. When the company grows, they will fork out thousands of dollars for larger licenses.
  • Atlassian products are made to scale to thousands+ of users. This unfortunately means that minimum requirements are quite brutal. You really need a dual core + 2GB RAM as a minimum for a JIRA instance serving even 1 user.

Do you actually use it?
I’m currently using asana.

I’ve used trello, and erpnext. Asana simplicity is just too nice. Even if I still use erpnext to track project costs.

I’ve considered hubspot and Salesforce but the pricing keeps me at bay.

I used it for several months to track web development projects, currently have no use for it.
Decided that Bitbucket issue tracking is good enough for 2 people collaborating.

I’m probably looking for an unicorn.
What Id love to have.

CRM
Project manager that allows me to track costs
Issue Tracker
Live chat widget

To suit the flows;
Client > projects > issues {with a client panel}
Livechat > CRM

Check out Odoo.

Its has decent Project Mgmt and CRM capabilities and you can self-host it for free. Pretty sure it has your requirements – project mgmt w/ costs, issue tracking, and a live chat app.

I’ve used it a couple years ago and it seemed to do it’s job quite nicely. I need to reinstall it and give it another go.

Don’t bother, I’ve used it a couple years ago too , it got clunky, then they started to strip down the community version in favor of the paid version.

It was because of odoo that I ended up in erpnext. Erpnext haves everything I need but the problem is that they moved too fast to goble up vertical markets instead of polishing up what they already have. And their public channels are pretty much dead with users screaming for help.

But if you liked odoo you should definitely take a look at erpnext. If I recall correctly erpnext came out ahead of odoo in some industry award thingy.

1 Like

Interesting, that’s a shame. Thanks for the heads up though. I’ll check out erpnext. I’ve also been wanting to check out OpenProject as well to see how that is – more interested in the proj mgmt / issue tracking stuff over the erp-related stuff.

Have you track project asana?

Nope. Looks almost too simplified to me :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want advanced project management, you’ll be happy with JIRA.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve used the Atlassian suite at my previous job and liked it. Used Confluence and JIRA heavily. But for personal stuff, I’m a big proponent of FOSS :slight_smile:

I would avoid it if you plan on self hosting. It’s a nightmare to maintain or keep stable. In the past I’ve just had scripts that literally restart it every hour and make sure it’s online, if not reboot (the whole node, because that’s how broken it can be). It can be stable, that’s for sure, and I’m sure many people don’t have many problems if any, but that software (and as I’ve come to learn, a lot of front facing software written in Java) is going to cause you hassle at some point, if not regularly.

This is also comes from someone who has worked at a shop that made a lot of money selling everything Atlassian.

I had no issues with stability of JIRA on adequate hardware. It was slow and getting killed every few hours on a 1.5GB RAM VPS though.

You really need a beefy system

Yeah I know about how hungry it is for resources. I am pretty much averaging my experience out across hundreds of instances with varying configurations, concurrent users, general activity.

I wouldn’t recommend someone start out with it, because you become dependent on that way of doing things, and when you try to scale in the future, it will not only cost you thousands just on licensing, but also on time spent maintaining it or even worse moving to another system. However, this all flies out the window (along with your cash) if you’re not self-hosting. Then it’s someone else’s problem.

2 Likes

If you want to go the full FOSS way, Bugzilla might be attractive to you, we use it at Mozilla and it works fine.

Certainly not as pretty/flashy as Atlassian products though, in fact, I would even call it borderline ugly. But gets the job done.

1 Like

Not as much as trello but still simple.
It’s grear for a lightweight cooperation.

Some nice stuff.
You can have several departments, each with their own projects.
Access levels
Message streams per task and per project.
Update the task via email
Tags
Upload files are or link to file on dropbox, etc…
Reminders
Mobile apps
…several integrations.

I’m on a phone so I’ll stop here. I know it haves lots of integrations with external apps, but I never explored that.

Definerly worth you testing it out.

1 Like

I used Jira months ago. Really good. I still have the instance but something simple like Wunderlist is simpler for me :stuck_out_tongue:

AgileCRM

I’ve heard of AgileCRM before… but for whatever reason I never played with it…
…now I will!

I lost my hard on with Atlassian after suspecting I was gonna have sleepless nights to manage project giving me like 10 bucks of “profit”.
I blame @Yes

2 Likes

Sorry didn’t mean to scare you that much :slight_smile: It’s great software, but you did ask for experience so I gave mine.

If you want that unicorn with all of the features you wanted, well Atlassian products do that, and there isn’t a lot of real competition, it’s similar to cPanel and SolusVM. If you’re running one or two users, and you can set aside a decent chunk of resources - you’ll probably only run into problems every now and then, say some annoying Java error every month or so. I think that’s fine for a lot of people, so the $10 offers are great.

If you see any sort of scale in the future, like tens of employees or more, or lots of clients that need to access it, or if it’s going to be public facing with a lot of hits, then self-hosted will become a pain in the ass, and license fees shoot up. I can tell you, there’s a reason there is a (relatively) large market for Atlassian hosting - because people don’t want to deal with that shit. It might be that you never get to the point of needing to deal with it though. I hope this came across a little more balanced since :wink:

1 Like