Best Open Source cPanel Alternative?

CockPit is a cool project too.

So, I would 100% fail?

Not web hosting oriented like ISPconfig or Virtualmin

In that case, I’d go for Webmin / Virtualmin combo.

1 Like

Nothing in the world is absolute. You would not fail 100%.

Counting failures I’ve seen since 1998, I’d say you have about 75% chance of total failure. 20% of getting nowhere and 4.9% of small success.

0.1% of great success. I’ve never seen anyone becoming very successful in web hosting when starting out as complete newbie.

2 Likes

My young team of college guys picked ISPconfig, now we are looking into something like Blesta’s off-line payments option with it. We want a libre billing panel too. Talking to a libre dev regarding this. I hope it happens.

Do you think setting up a proper billing system helps even if I am going with offline payments?

I want to be like Indian version of hcoop.net or disroot.org some day. Either ways, I would be happy. Let us see where and how I reach there, if at all.

I am not going to wish you luck because luck is not going to be something you are gonna need.

Those who have had great success in web hosting industry have begun with a solid business plan.

What is your suggestion or tips?

Take the $1000 and your team of college kids and have one amazing night at the strip club. The kids will think you’re a god, the strippers will have money for their STD treatments and you’ll be supporting the local economy in India like you’ve stated is your goal.

3 Likes

I am honest and loyal to my wife. I am a simple man who already donates for education and basic lodging and food support for another child here. I have a child with heart issue.

I got out of my family in Oct 2018 at the age of 29. I don’t have much savings. I started with a negative savings of 400 USD [debt] when I was out of my family. I did it all by myself.

I don’t have much savings. But there is this idea of starting Indian disroot or hcoop or something like this. Whenever we want some MX or proper web hosting for custom domains, there is an issue in life. Why can’t most of the domain users get solid free hosting.

But I thank you so much for your thoughts. :smiley:

1 Like

Can you afford to throw away $1000 at this point and not have any regrets or hardships? That’s what you are doing, consider the money gone and having nothing to show for it. To make a few dollars profit is the best you can hope for but the extremely high likely conclusion is that you are either out the $1000 or worse, incurring debt or seeing the money going away and then throwing more money hoping beyond hope that you can salvage or recover something.

Many people that are in the industry have warned you, some explicitly, that this is not what you need to be doing but you continue on the path. Free/libre does not mean magic money maker for no up front cost. It means the software is no cost but you do the work for it. You put in the time, you solve your own problems, you fix when it breaks and no one is on call for you to do it for you.

The fact that you have a “team” of college kids and a budget of $1000 means you are paying them nothing. How is that helping anyone but yourself? How is that not exploiting people? How is that ethical?

Save the money for your child and take care of their medical issues. Don’t piss away money that you will never see a return from.

2 Likes

We are going to be small provider. It would help them too. They get to do their own kind of hostings they like. I am offer them free gitea, Bitwarden and sea file or Borg backups like they wanted for their own needs.

Team of 2 guys right now and they both would be paid 2-3x more stipend than any greedy money loving company would here. Here they make you work for free and you pay for your motorbike’s petrol in name of fake experience [as per many big IT guys I know]. Let alone your beer, coffee or snacks. And forget about any gift for your gf or mom.

I am not helping myself. This product would be owned by these kids only. They would owner, director and I would be paying for the registration of company too eventually.

I am not helping myself nor exploiting any human. Your claims are baseless and ill-founded.

Your concern is much appreciated. I would think over it again until I finally put funds in the Linode account for the co-operative product.

Please don’t get me wrong when I say, I won’t reply to your private message regarding this project anymore. In all good faith I believe that you want to realize a project for the greater good, however the way you have presented it here, as well as the detailed “plan” you lined out via PM (which I won’t mention out of courtesy and because you asked me to) needs some re-working imho. In fact, like a 360 swap. Since I won’t reply with further details in the pm nor am a professional Business consultor, make of it what you want. But please believe me and the other guys, when we raise doubt as to how you have planned out your project or rather the lack of. It hurts way more seeing presumably kind people fail than the nulled whmcs script kiddies. Take this as an opportunity to re-think, re-forge and re-launch your project or invest your resources in smth else. The hosting market is a cruel one and there are lots of established free hosts that offer similar specs :wink:

Kind regards,
Ympker

5 Likes

It is up to you to help or not. It would really help if you share some tips instead.

Regarding estd free hosts, may I know which ones?

Infinityfree

Bplaced

Github Pages (covers most small website needs)

and others

I plan to offer or host services with as much as free/libre software possible. We would not only offer web panel hosting with MX, but also other things like gitea, borgbackup, seafile, other community services too.

None of those offer it. Whenever something is free, they are selling your data [not saying that these services do], which won’t be the case in the type of hosting I am going to offer.

I would respect people’s privacy/data protection. If they request me to delete data and details, I actually would.

Have a nice day!

You have a nice day, too. Once more: We are not your enemies or trying to bring you down :wink:

2 Likes

Ympker > Chief Happiness Officer

1 Like

But you are not trying to motivate either. Esp. when I talk about Free/libre software. you believe I am trying to waste the money. No Sir, I am not.