Black Friday Hopes & Dreams

Just ordered two new garage door motors/openers since our current ones were on their way out. Normally $250 each. Paid $125 each instead due to an early black friday promo and a $25 off coupon. Getting $200 back in rewards (Sears) that’ll go towards some tools/other home improvement stuff that’s needed. So if I do everything right and only buy stuff that we need and would have bought anyway, I’ll effectively only be spending $50 total to replace both motors. Not too shabby.

Can pick them up next week, so I’ll probably be installing them both on my day off on Friday. Ohh the joys of home ownership. At least I have an excuse to stay in an avoid the murderous BF crowds, though. Only other purchase I plan to make for BF is a new office chair. Eyeing Staples’ Hyken mesh chair which went for $130 last BF… hoping it does the same (if not lower) this time around too.

7 Likes

How? I’ve seen the gears wear out, but never had an actual motor die. You can replace the plastic gears fairly easily, and they’re usually <$40.

If you’re burning things up, then it seems like you might have a problem with the springs, or really oob for limits.

• Remotes constantly lose code somehow and need to be repaired (even happens on newly purchased remotes so it has to be the base).
  • Distance from the motor in order for the remote to trigger open/close is ridiculously close for my wife’s side so she has to be almost touching the door with her car to get in range. Even tried repositioning the antenna and using different remotes.
  • Sometimes when a button is pressed it opens both sides at the same time
  • My wife’s side gets stuck about half way while going up almost every time. Everything is lubed up and moves pretty smoothly, seems like it is just struggling to lift up the door.
  • They are both extremely loud (chain drive)
  • Only one of the light bulb sockets work on both of the motors
  • Probably some other shit I’m forgetting

Tl;Dr - they old as fuck and need replacing.

New belt-drive and higher horsepower motor should make all these irritations cease. New motors will have a far range for the remotes and even connect to Wi-Fi to be able to trigger it remotely.

I miss my belt drive I bought from Home Depot. I’d never go for anything IoT that allows entry to my home. :tinfoilhat:

I don’t know what I want/expect out of BF; I’m already a paycheck behind after paying taxes.

1 Like

Amazon UK’s week of Black Friday deals just started, Phillips Hue starter kits (containing 3 3rd gen bulbs + a bridge) have gone down from £120 to £70 :heart_eyes: Needless to say, I’ve made several purchases :smiley: Obviously, they could go down further on actual Black Friday, but this is the cheapest they’ve ever been.

3 Likes

Black Friday: 1. Wallet: 0.

No servers this year, but grabbed a new TV stand… plus a new 65" TV for that stand, 4K Fire Stick, and a powerline networking kit because it’s cheap enough to gamble on now.

2 Likes

My experience with a couple of different powerline kits so far: WIFI is way faster.

Keep us updated, maybe the cables are better suited for such use in the US of A.

Reviews look like 100Mbps top end, even though the product is marketed as gigabit. If I could get a consistent 50Mbps across the house I’d be happy.

TV is first floor back of house, modem/router/AP is top floor front of house. I get 150Mbps over wireless, but the AppleTV chokes on any moderate bitrate 1080p plex streams.

This is exactly what I’m saying… the only thing I didn’t replace on my desk is my mouse. How did it happen? No one knows.

3 Likes

Netcup’s offers are pretty crazy this year :heart_eyes:

The only thing that stops me is the lack of monthly contract on most of the offers…

Yeah, but I’ve come to expect that with them. I’m totally fine with it since I’m primarily buying stuff for business use, so the long contract isn’t really a problem.

I’m curious to see what’s the “RS Black Pearl” starting at 13:30 CET
Most of the announced BF deals look consistent to stuff I already have or had with them tbqh

My hopes for either an Hetzner’s AX with waived setup fees/fully customizable disk layout/new location have been shattered, sadly

1 Like

Me too! Less than 10 minutes :wink:

EDIT: Not bad.

Likewise :confused:

1 Like

I’ve stared at “löschen” for 3-4 minutes and then I’ve hit “weiter zur Bestellung”

I have a problem I know

5 Likes

@Wolveix @mfs We didn’t want to shatter your dreams. It’s nice, though, to know that we were a part of them in the first place. We’ll do our best to find a way to make it up to you all next year. --Katie

2 Likes

what? don’t ruin it already… I just offered a cheap immediate way out of your misery in the other thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Waiting for BF2020

2 Likes