BuyVM/BuyShared Adds Free Blesta & Softaculous Licenses

Apache2. I also had problems with the default .htaccess so I wiped it and killed the pretty urls afaik

Admittedly not on BuyVM but my Blesta install worked out the box (apache2)

1 Like

The only problem is I have nothing to sell. :money_mouth_face:

I canā€™t attribute blame tbh, probably me rushing the install =]

Itā€™s nice software. Not as good of a competitor as the transition from cp to da was but it looks decent and Iā€™m going to keep a dev install running.

If I was going to switch from whmcs I would save $240/year - but itā€™s a way harder decision than $$.

No I wasnā€™t suggesting it was BuyVM at fault either, just that when I installed it, it worked first time.

Iā€™ve not tried WHMCS (other than as a customer) but Blesta covers what I need.

1 Like

I refuse to like this out of general principle. I am the 12th juror.

This thread is now my Blesta Diaryā€¦ and an excuse to give free bumps to the mastermind.

Successfully completed a WHMCS to Blesta import with only a few glitches.
The main stuff, like client accounts, services, transactions and packages were all fine.

I guess you have to create order forms separately for Blesta? Apart from that and the lack of outgoing transactions, itā€™s neater than I thought it was. Really quite fast compared to clunky old WHMCS.

Not sure if this is in good taste but if anyone @ SW wanted to test out the user side vs WHMCS lmk!

@Cam I was on Gullos today, noticed you use it! Do you have any thoughts on Blesta to share?

Edit: I just realised, no PayPal fee columnā€¦ suggestions? Iā€™m quite happy to live the PP to csv life.

7 Likes

Wishosting (not sure if theyā€™re on this forum) uses Blesta too.

2 Likes

I also was using Blesta back then. Itā€™s cool :wink: Will set it up soon again for some web design stuff.

1 Like

Does Blesta work well for one-off payments as well, or is it just more suited for regularly occurring services? Maybe an invoice manager, like InvoiceNinja, is more specifically designed for what Iā€™m asking.

2 Likes

I use it for invoicing regular payments (server management, etc) as well generating one off invoices for other work for clients that I bill via blesta.

I use invoiceninja as well for other work.

If itā€™s mainly service based billing blesta works well with the odd one off invoice - if it the other way round Iā€™d go invoice ninja. But, invoice ninja doesnā€™t handle recurring payments too well, unless you want them on the same day each month (fine if itā€™s the 1st, but I have some that I invoice 15 days before the end of the month).

4 Likes

@MichaelCee I tested Blesta a few years ago and quite liked it but found it a bit lacking so stuck with WHMCS. However, since all the cPanel stuff I want to totally move away from Oakley products so have been trying out Blesta again. Canā€™t find anyway to add KB from WHMCS directly other than manually copying each articles.

1 Like

Have you looked into the database side of things?

I know you can just import tblknowledgebase with whmcs > whmcs, maybe something similar for Blesta.

Finally got Blesta set up on my box as well nowā€¦

Got it working with Nginx + PHP 7.3 + Letā€™s Encrypt. Hereā€™s the nginx config which took some researching and trial+error to eventually get working in case anyone is interested (replace anything in double curly braces) ā€“

server {
  listen      80;
  server_name {{your_domain}};
  return 301 https://{{your_domain}}$request_uri;
}

server {
  listen {{listen_ip}}:443 ssl; #SSL Only
  server_name {{your_domain}};
  root /var/www/blesta/;
  index index.php index.html index.htm;
  error_log  /var/log/nginx/nginx_error.log  warn;
  # Turn on SSL
  ssl on;
  ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/{{your_domain}}/fullchain.pem;
  ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/{{your_domain}}/privkey.pem;
  ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
  ssl_session_timeout 3m;
  # Protect against BEAST, POODLE, FREAK TLS attacks
  ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
  ssl_ciphers "EECDH+AESGCM:EDH+AESGCM:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256+EECDH:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256+EDH:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:AES256-GCM-SHA384:AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256-SHA256:AES128-SHA256:AES256-SHA:AES128-SHA:DES-CBC3-SHA:HIGH:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!MD5:!PSK:!RC4";
  ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
  # config to enable HSTS(HTTP Strict Transport Security)
  add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains;";
  client_body_buffer_size 32m;

# redirect server error pages to the static page /50x.html
  # Set to directory of error files
  error_page 500 502 503 504 /50x.html;
  location = /50x.html {
    root /usr/share/nginx/html;
  }

# pass the PHP scripts to PHP FPM
  #
  location ~ \.php$ {
    try_files $uri =404;
    # Tweak for Nginx to work with PHP from vendors
    fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
    # NOTE: You should have "cgi.fix_pathinfo = 0;" in php.ini
    fastcgi_connect_timeout 60;
    fastcgi_send_timeout 180;
    fastcgi_read_timeout 180;
    # Buffer settings increase to compensate for increased time/size due to SSL
    fastcgi_buffer_size 128k;
    fastcgi_buffers 4 256k; #
    fastcgi_busy_buffers_size 256k;
    fastcgi_temp_file_write_size 256k;
    fastcgi_intercept_errors on;
    fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.3-fpm.sock;
    fastcgi_index index.php;
    include fastcgi_params;
    fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root/$fastcgi_script_name;
  }

# Disallow access to any file with .pdt extension
  location ~ (\.pdt) {
    return 403;
  }

location / {
    try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
  }

#Core rewrite
  location @blesta {
    rewrite ^(.*)$ /index.php last;
  }

}

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Blesta for more than a year for shared hosting and other invoices from time to time.

It works really great for me with cPanel but I havenā€™t tried with Directadmin yet. I donā€™t know how WHMCS works.

2 Likes

Should work. Hop on Blesta discord for any issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes WHMCS to WHMCS is easy. Havenā€™t dug through the DB but looking at forum posts on Blesta they all say the KBs are not compatible. Was thinking about setting up an external KB to the billing platform.

1 Like

I was hoping to have a look into setting up Blesta/DA this week but donā€™t think Iā€™m going to get time now.

1 Like

Think thatā€™s the best idea, I toyed with it before. WordPress and a professional KB template (can get expensive). I remember onehost had a similar set up but the template was customised to their site.

Also works for blesta: https://premadekb.com/

Not sure how good it is

1 Like