Cheap/Free DNS Service Suggestions?

Yup, still getting the job done.

Does it work well? Is we believe dnsperf they don’t perform that well outside of EU/US: DNS Performance for Vultr DNS | DNSperf - given the many locations they have, if their anycast is setup to use all their locations I don’t see why performance isn’t better. It’s still decent and probably more than enough… I guess choosing them or not rather than CF (in DNS only mode) depends on CF being really evil or not :wink:

1 Like

I’m quite happy with 1984 Hosting’s FreeDNS. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nobody running their own authorative DNS server ?

Plenty of ultrafast and secure alternatives for BIND these days !

Knot :czech_republic: @FHR :wink:

Yadifa :eu: (my personal pick)

NSD from same makers as Unbound :netherlands:

edit thanks @Razza
4 Likes

Yeah! I’m running about three DNS Clusters now for myself and the Company :joy:

All rocking PowerDNS, super nice to set up, and a lot of features. It supports quite a few backends, MySQL, SQLite3, bind zone files, etc…

I also offer DNS Hosting on those Clusters, one of them Anycasted with 14 Locations # self-promotion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you mean NSD, Unbound is the recursive DNS server from same developer.

1 Like

No, it’s a pain. With that said, PowerDNS is a very nice product, especially its SUPERSLAVE functionality,

1 Like

Exactly! Works great with bind as a master (or anything else).

2 Likes

Some solid DNS server benchmarking :

I also run a 3-node PowerDNS cluster for my own domains, and a 2-node PowerDNS cluster at work. It’s fast enough and has quite a lot of features, I just wish it also had something like the POOL record type of DNSSimple.

2 Likes

I don’t know, haven’t personally used it, but would assume that it is decent.

Yes, they don’t have African and Latin America locations, but honestly for the price it is not that bad in my opinion. It will of course depend on personal needs, if you have a significant amount of visitors from those regions you can certainly do better (and worse, too).

1 Like

It seems nice, and anyway comparisons are nice, but in real world use their anycast network is probably more than enough, even for Latin America (I assume they have at least a node in Miami) and Africa… Definitely gonna giving them a try one of these days to keep some websites totally CF-Free.

1 Like

I finally gave it a try. It works really well from my first tests and performs great in all places I tried.
Their interface is pretty straightforward, DNSSEC works fine and they have a nice API.

Seems to be a great alternative to CF!

me too.

1 Like

People wanting to move away from CloudFlare, don’t use DNSimple nor EasyDNS… they are using CloudFlare’s DNS servers.

Example:
$ dig ns3.dnsimple.com +short

$ whois 162.159.26.4

NetName: CLOUDFLARENET
NetHandle: NET-162-158-0-0-1
Parent: NET162 (NET-162-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Assignment
OriginAS: AS13335
Organization: Cloudflare, Inc. (CLOUD14)

5 Likes

Why would people move away from CloudFlare? They just love it. And those who didn’t would never have signed up in the first place. It is like their hotmail or gmail account.

1 Like

Digitalocean domain dns and cloudns

Is propagation time (TTL) a concern for you or no?:slight_smile:

How’s Vultr compared to Hetzner?
I do like Hetzner’s service, but I don’t think it offers DNSSEC (nor ALIAS/flattened CNAME).
So Vultr doesn’t require you to have an active service with them for using the free DNS? (Someone claimed they did in some forum/thread, or I’m just remembering very wrong.)

(Asking because I’m considering which DNS providers to test with @nem’s ApisCP, which seems to be an excellent panel in many ways! :+1: Consider getting it while it’s on sale. :smile:)

(Sorry to revive old topic, if that’s considered bad … :innocent:
Feel free to close/delete/move to new thread.)

1 Like

I’ve never used DNSSimple, but something like that should be doable with a Lua record in PowerDNS. The record is basically a very small Lua script, so it can do some pretty sophisticated stuff, like routing based on GeoIP of the client’s IP address, or based on availability (have a pool of IPs and only return an IP if that particular server is up), or weighted in some way. Pretty flexible.

1 Like