Cheapest FTP Storage Provider?

Free tier is only storing things temporary.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. It’s kind of unclear the way they phrase things. I guess that’s the case for the cheapest paid tier too, huh?

Cheers! Been lurking here for quite a while, had the forum in the RSS feed. Glad to be part of it.

With Hetzner, you can get an auction server for like 25 euros with 2x3TB and if I’m not mistaking you can add 2x12 TB to it as add-ons so you’d get 30TB for ~100 euros/month. I don’t think it gets any cheaper than that…

1 Like

Their SX62 rig comes with 40TB raw for 64 EUR/mo (mind the setup fee) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yes, it does

NO setup fees the whole month of July

2 Likes

For backups of my servers, I currently use BudgetNode. Paying $24/year for a KVM VPS with 250 GB space. Works really well for Borgbackup. I got the offer from https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136417/512mb-kvm-18-year-2gb-kvm-3-99-month-paid-yearly-500gb-kvm-storage-3-99-month-paid-yearly, looks like they don’t stock it any more though.

I didn’t realise people still use FTP rather than SFTP.

2 Likes

i was also thinking… it’s 2019… SFTP should be like mainstream by now

1 Like

One of my earliest memories of web development was uploading my site via WS_FTP LE on Windows 95. No TLS/SSL back then, of course… Passwords flying all over the place in plaintext. Even though FTP over SSL (FTPS) is available these days, I’m surprised that SFTP/SCP hasn’t fully taken over.

1 Like

I understand 1fichier is kinda Hotel California via FTP: upload via FTP, but retrieval from web only? Correct me @ympker

3 Likes

afaik that’s true

2 Likes

True. It’s good for your second/third backup location. Setup & forget :slight_smile:
If all other backup locations have failed, log in to Fichier web gui and download your backup, happy that you still have one.

4 Likes

Right, I forgot about that!

1 Like

Hosthatch has 250 GB specials for 15 bucks a year every so often. They’re pretty hard to beat.

2 Likes

Here’s a nice pricing calculator to compare the big boys :

https://www.online.net/en/storage/c14-cold-storage#pricing

1 Like

We have 1TB Storage VPS at $6.95/month, and each additional 1TB added for just $5/month additional.
Full KVM VPS on a RAID6 SAS Array.
Location Las Vegas NV, and shortly in Herndon VA as well (this weekend).

https://smarthost.net/vps-hosting.php

2 Likes

320 Gb SAS root server for $ 7.50/mth

3 Likes

Virmach has some storage KVMs that start at $3.50/mo for 500GB; low RAM, low CPU, decent network. HDD backed, so not going to be the fastest.

I just use mine with a severely neutered scp storage setup, but the fact it’s KVM and not OVZ, I know the entire storage space is there and available.

1 Like

Virmach are pretty good! Only issue I’ve had is that they don’t have IPv6 connectivity. The only reason I didn’t use them for my backup storage is that I’m taking backups of a few Virmach VPSes and didn’t want the backups to be in the same data center as the live VPSes themselves.

I think it’s still possible to overcommit disk space on KVM if the host uses QCOW2 disk images.

1 Like

Can confirm. QCOW2 images grow on the host as space is filled up in the VM, while RAW images allocate the entire block right away on the host. (I have a mixture of both on my FreeMach nodes).

I’m pretty sure this is not the case with the majority of SolusVM designs that I’ve run into.