Cloud hosting vs VPS?

A little bit confused what’s the difference btw. cloud hosting and VPS?

I’d say “cloud hosting” is the opposite of on-premise hosting and would include many things, like VPS, SaaS, dedicated server, etc.

1 Like

While cloud computing has a definition, cloud hosting is more vague of a term. I guess you’d say it’s hosting on cloud computing, which could still just reference shared hosting or a VPS all the same. So I guess you’d say cloud hosting is a category and VPS is an item inside the category.

Okay, I see, thanks

1 Like

I always thought the defining characteristic of cloud hosting is that you can upgrade/downgrade easily and pay in hourly increments.

1 Like

That’d be cloud computing. I suppose you could just think of the two as the same thing. But then you’d still be able to call it a VPS since VPS is the best platform for that kind of scaling and deployment.

1 Like

For sure. DO, Vultr, Linode, and Hetzner Cloud are all just VPS.

1 Like

Good point

2 Likes

I think that term gets thrown around quite a bit. “Cloud” sounds very high tech after all

There is no difference, its just a marketing buzzword.
And they charge you more.

2 Likes

I was thinking a bit more about this and I think there are a lot of terms like this. A VDS has a dedicated core, but it’s obviously a type of VPS. We just like to make up names for things. Soon, we’ll have VnvmeS for dedicated I/O.

You r right, I’m researching and trail a hosting on Alibabacloud.com, no obvious diff noticed

Cloud hosting is VPS.
When a VPS gets so high that it goes above clouds, it becomes cloud hosting.

1 Like

LOL :rofl: