Considering VPS vs. Shared Reseller Plan

Hi! I’m currently serving my customers through a Reseller account, shared cPanel hosting. And I’m running a small VPS on the side for some projects/labs etc.

Considering getting a larger VPS f.ex. from @Francisco with included Direct Admin and moving the cPanel accounts to this.

I have maintained many Linux servers over the years, but none with cPanel or Direct Admin etc. (It’s been my/our own servers, with narrow/limited purposes, maybe managed through Puppet etc.)

So, how much more work is maintaining/updating a server running DA, compared to my regular apt update/upgrade etc.? (I’ve been running unattented upgrades successfully for some years.) I assume it has a set of required packages/services and some config that will be overwritten/updated with panel updates.

Or, should I just keep my reseller plan and let the provider do the updating/maintenance? Life if full of these hard questions … :grin::laughing:

Upgrading DirectAdmin is a mere 3 commands and is described in their knowledge base: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=696

Honestly, rolling your own DA (DirectAdmin) installation isn’t much of a hassle or any more difficult than rolling your own VPS. It’s more important however that you look into things like security (e.g. fail2ban) and backups.

1 Like

DA’s quite straight forward.

Do you use Blesta or use Softaculous? We’ll be including both with our services by End Of Week, but likely sooner.

Francisco

6 Likes

So this is the announcement you’ve hinted at :wink:

Surely not for free?

Why wouldn’t it be free?

Blesta will be available for all of our products (shared, resellers, VPS), and Softaculous for all DirectAdmin customers.

Since we’re having to raise the price on our cPanel plans I figured I’d find a way to get better value for everyone.

Francisco

11 Likes

fuq… and why don’t I have a slice yet? :thinking:

3 Likes

Well DirectAdmin is a paid license product that you offer for free so I wondered if you’d worked your magic on other products that’s all.

Everything is a paid license.

All comes down to what I’m willing to eat and what kind of deals I can pull off :slight_smile:

Francisco

3 Likes

Wait wait, you said “why wouldn’t it be free”.

You’re filthy, I hope you know that.

It’s so free.

Francisco

7 Likes

Running cPanel with Softaculous and JetBackup currently, yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

If choosing VPS, will have to figure out a backup strategy. Think I used block level snapshots at DO … :thinking: (Different setup <10 GB, now it would be >90GB)

(My planned change would be before year-end, so no rush, just considering options, planning on testing a bit.)

That increases your odds of getting a slab for your backups in Vegas!

In all seriousness though, I’d just roll your own ‘hot’ backups on a slab or two, then some Backblaze or Glacier for the ‘cold’ backups. Should be cheap and reliable. Throw in a Hetzner storagebox if you want to go quadruple duplication mode.

1 Like

@Francisco - Which VPS packages will be provided the free Blesta license?

P.S. sorry to derail your thread, @flips

1 Like

All. Same with Softaculous.

Francisco

3 Likes

Prem. Thanks Bern… Fran :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be fair a self hosted VPS doesn’t always perform better than a Shared Hosting plan that has higher-end limits (think HM, BuyShared, Ramnode…). On top of that comes license cost but obviously you’d skip on that when going with @Francisco . I’d probably still prefer a reseller plan tbh :slight_smile: It often comes with cool extras, less hassle to maintain and can be quite easily be moved.

Also @Francisco: What’s wrong with that crazy pony lol? Blesta and DA sounds awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Will you also offer DA or other panel on/with reseller shared hosting plans?

(I moved to reseller plan when I discovered that unlimited wasn’t really unlimited for the regular plan, so I needed to make more sub accounts to get enough resources per account. Having separate accounts per domain is nice, but maybe not worth the extra cPanell fee …:thinking::sunglasses:)

We’ll roll out nodes once DA covers a few more points we need (namely autologin for phpmyadmin and webmail).

Francisco

4 Likes

PLZ GIV NOW OR BFORE SUMEMR END
Will need DEBIAN SELEKTER,OK?

Dear,
SummerHost runner.

But seriously, that’s incredible. You’re freaking awesome! I seriously have no idea how it came that I still don’t have service with you.

4 Likes

@Francisco I was so ready to pay you $1.99/m for Softaculous just for the 1 cent discount.
You’re a blessing.

1 Like