Contabo

How about throwing in one of these :slight_smile:

https://www.socionext.com/en/products/assp/h264h265/MB86M30

• 4K/60p HEVC/H.265 encoding with 10ms ultra low latency

OOOHHH whatā€™s that.

Is it a PCIe thing or something i donā€™t exactly understand how you could bind it.

or do you need to create your own board with it?

Could be really intressting.
I didnā€™t saw any prices too :C

read the pdf

3 Likes

I got their smallest plan in the U.S. after it was public to test on, seemed pretty good, no issues with packet loss (most over Level3) or CPU performance. I had it running as a smokeping slave and to test some random stuff for a while until I cancelled it Definitely a good deal.

3 Likes

Looks fine tbh. Not perfect butā€¦ for the price & specs itā€™s great, I guess. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I will give it a try soon (US).

I think their performance was way better at launch a few weeks ago than it was now. (Geekbench scores between then and now are differing by as much as 1500 points)

1 Like

In the process of my curiosity about a new dedi provider in the US (I tend to kick the tires of a LOT of providers, gives me a lot of data to inform future decisions) I ordered one of their hardware firewalls along with my server. Itā€™s pfsense, Iā€™ve never used it but it seems that they intend for me to use it via a web UI. Well Iā€™m blocked from accessing it. This support timeline is impressively bad, I had to share it.

May 16 7:38pm (me) - I seem to be unable to access the firewall at {url}
May 17 5:01am (them) - Accessing your Firewall here:

{url}

is possible from our end without any issues. You might want to try to use a different browser.

May 17 11:43am (me) - Endless loading in any browser, time out in curl. Are you sure port 443 is allowing any IP on the firewall?

May 17 4:26pm (them) - We have checked on the matter and your hardware firewall has its Web GUI restricted to the following IP addresses at present (list below).

{lists two IPs belonging to their employees}

May 17 6:45pm (me) - Yes those IPs belong to your team members and have no relation to me. Please add {my IP}. Thank you!

May 18 3:13am (them) - Are you not able to enter the firewall from your Dedicated Server 10-Core ({server IP}) via the private IP address {private IP}? If you have still access via the server, you can whitelist your IP address range on your own.

May 18 8:28pm (me) - I wasnā€™t planning on installing a VPN on here, and for all I know Iā€™ll do it and hit a port block on the firewall that requires me to log in and change rules just to use the VPN to access the system behind the firewall to tunnel back into the firewall. Is it too much to ask for you to just deliver the firewall to me in a way that I can use it? Do we need to go back and forth for a week? My IP is still {my IP}. Figure it out or just open it up to any IP and let me handle it from there.

Considering the welcome email said ā€œPlease do not deactivate your network card or the remote desktop serviceā€ I think they honestly expect me to have a remote desktop running on it (thankfully they didnā€™t install one).

5 Likes

I dunno, isnā€™t that kind of similar how providers only allow IPMI via internal VPN? Edit: They should at least run a VPN for access and give clients access to that.

4 Likes

I mean if they gave me a VPN to access it Iā€™d be game, but they just gave me a URL and whitelisted themselves only to access it, then spent two days trying to avoid doing any work to fix poor execution.

2 Likes

From what i remember once i totally broke my machine and they gave me a Proxmox VNC session so that I make it work again.

1 Like

Firewall access delivered. Took a while, but now the server is fully usable.

5 Likes

Can you post a benchmark ?

I got this one at least: PrivateBin

They did their website again it looks quite nice now: VPS with the Best Price-to-Performance Ratio | Contabo Storage VPS with High Volume and Fast SSD | Contabo

From what I remember they really had ultra bad reviews but it looks like itā€™s not the case anymore someone tested them again. I wonder also if their storage VPS is built on some kind of RAID.
I ended them a support request to know more about it and also I asked if there is a fair use for the bandwidth. Letā€™s see how it will turn out!

1 Like

They might have had bad reviews and some justified, but my experience in total (after some initial ssd throttling) with them was nothing but good.

New web design looks nice. I feel like Contabo is well positioned to be a strong market force. I continue to watch with interest, almost convinced to use for production with something redundant across more than one provider.

1 Like

Iā€™d say if you have some spare Credits idle some vps of theirs, check uptime AND network and see if it fits your needs. For my needs it was more than sufficient back then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Updated their website and also changed their pricing.
German VAT was included in the price before, now it isnā€™t.

Also while VAT was 16% instead of 19% last year, they just upped their prices accordingly.

Not the nicest thing to do. At least running contracts prices remain unchanged.

1 Like