Favorite Free Web Tools/Plugins That You Use Daily?

That sounds great! <3

ipinfo.io definitely

also webpagetest.org

dnsmap.io looks nice but itā€™s missing the city locations next to text and just lists country. Unlike https://www.whatsmydns.net/ which lists city too which is useful for geodns dns checks

3 Likes

Thanks for this. I didnā€™t know about it and itā€™s quite good indeed.

BGPView tends to have outdated information when you look things up. Iā€™m not sure if they update their tables once a day like HE does.

Kind of related, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good SSH client for Linux? As goofy as it sounds, the only thing really stopping me from switching off Windows on my home PC right now is Mobaxterm. Itā€™s just perfect - tabbed SSH windows, instant SFTP in a sidebar, crazy configuration options, and easy session management. Anything on Linux that even sorta replicates this?

BGPView provides pretty old information. When I registered a new ASN and started announcing some IPv6 space, it took them ~3 days to notice it.

What is totally awesome: RIPE Tools. All of them.

• RIPE Atlas
    Traceroutes, ping, DNS resolution and latency visualization using possibly thousands of nodes around the world on various ISPs. Great for diagnosing routing issues and measuring anycast performance. Also has a great API, can be fully automated.

• RIPE Database
    Doesnā€™t need explaining. Whois for all RIPE stuff.

• RIPE BGPlay
    BGP announce visualizer. The best tool for diagnosing BGP issues.

• RIPE Stat
    Need to know anything about an ASN or IP?
    Provides WHOIS, routing visibility, reverse DNS, BGPlay, abuse contact finder, allocation history, MaxMind data and some other stuff.

2 Likes

Nope, but appreciate the recommendation for Mobaxterm, lol, will give it a shot. Putty sucks ass compared to iTerm2 on Mac. Iā€™ve been using Linux Subsystem for Windows running Ubuntu for SSH, but even thatā€™s not perfectā€¦ and no tabs, just fuck loads of windows.

I tried this on OS X and it seems cool, might be worth a shot on Linux: https://hyper.is/

Also couldnā€™t hurt to run through this list and look at linux options: https://alternativeto.net/software/mobaxterm/

Btw, I love you for bringing this glorious piece of software up. OpenSSH through Command Prompt never felt quite right. <3

Mobaxterm is amazing, I honestly couldnā€™t recommend it enough. I donā€™t understand why it isnā€™t more popular - it literally has everything Iā€™d ever need. Iā€™ve only ever used it for SSH, but knowing that is has RDP & VNC is nice. I originally switched from PuTTy to KiTTy because I really wanted transparent terminal windowsā€¦ and yep, Mobaxterm supports that. I already mentioned it, but just to emphasize: having the SFTP file explorer on the sidebar automatically change and update as you cd into different directories via the command line is SO AWESOME and Iā€™m crying that I canā€™t find anything like that on Linux. I think I might need to wrestle with WINE again to get mobax on here.

1 Like

Man I thought Linux had the best SSH client of all time already. OpenSSH client package on a nice clean terminal :wink:

1 Like

iTerm2 ā†’ OpenSSH-client in a plain Linux terminal ā†’ whatever garbage Windows developers pump out that requires clicking through 20 menus to make a fucking connection and doesnā€™t even support standard OpenSSH formatted RSA keys without converting them to some other garbage format first

1 Like

MobaXterm all the way < 3

2 Likes

yeah since then for my own reasons to get around 3rd party API rate limits and my Centmin Mod users concerns around privacy, I developed my own geoip lookup site as a test case https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centmin-mod-geolocation-ip-address-lookup-service-testing.17099/

I ended up developing 3 versions using 3 methods just to see which is best

4 Likes

After working on my project for awhile, Iā€™m happy to put this here: https://asn.ipinfo.app/

Needs some further work, but it is there. Now it is mostly just features and improvements.

8 Likes

Web tools
draw.io - For drawing architectural charts

Browser plugins
Adblock Plus - Iā€™m no fan of ads
Bitwarden plugin - Iā€™m no fan of remembering my passwords

1 Like

You should check out uBlock Origin instead. It uses less system resources.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tried it a few years ago and found it to be horrible in terms of stability. Things probably changed for the better though, Iā€™ll give it another shot, thanks!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been running uBlock for going on 3 years, having completely given up on ABP. Itā€™s very stable and the parsing system is a lot better with Chrome and recent FF.

2 Likes

Hemingway Editor - Keeps Grammarly from snarfing your sexts.

Online Markdown Editor - Dillinger, the Last Markdown Editor ever. - Iā€™ve never found a good markdown editor for Windows.

2 Likes

Yeah, ā€˜fewā€™ might well be over 3 years, I honestly donā€™t remember. All I remember is that back then, it didnā€™t even have the ability to disable uBlock for certain sites / pages which was probably implemented years ago. Itā€™s as smooth as butter now, though, so Iā€™ve ditched Adblock Plus.

2 Likes