Global Chip & PIN Implementation

My girlfriend uses Apple pay, assuming same method of presenting the device?

She places the phone screen up on the card reader and somehow it works through the case… Beats me.

1 Like

Though, the only issue with contactless is that it does introduce other security concerns. If your wallet isn’t lined with aluminium, then it’s not hard for someone to walk past you with a scanner and obtain that information.

Yeah, Google Pay and Apple Pay are basically the same thing.

2 Likes

It’s plain NFC. Just like the chip in the cards.

3 Likes

Even with chip and pin ATMs, we get a lot of warnings to double check theres been no interference

I’m gonna get Google Pay when my bank switch goes through :smile:

1 Like

I think, although I don’t know, the only way to pay on London public transport is contactless (unless you buy a more expensive paper ticket from a machine at the start of your journey)

1 Like

Oyster card works fine in London :wink:

1 Like

You can buy a ticket or Oyster card. Contactless/Oyster is the cheapest way to travel via the Underground though :slight_smile: There’s a weekly limit, so if you travel daily, use contactless. Hell, use contactless anyway. It’s easier and cheaper.

1 Like

Oyster is contactless though isn’t it?

Yeah it is, but you can buy it with cash or non contactless creditcards. I probably interpreted your post differently than you intended.

2 Likes

Nope, never a PIN for credit. Sometimes signature, but thats mainly at restaurants and stuff. Implementation is pretty good for the most part. Some places take significantly longer for the chip to auth, but it eventually gets there. Don’t know of many places that do the tap to pay stuff.

Yeah, we’re probably a good 1000 miles from each other.

I rarely ever carry cash on me. Such a pain to take out cash lol. Don’t need to go to the bank to deposit checks (mobile deposit), so I’m never really at one. Only really need cash for events where there’s street carts, food trucks, etc.

4 Likes

Shit, I think we’ve struck “discussion gold” with this one

5 Likes

Can’t remember the last time I couldn’t use contactless. Even the food trucks now have some kind of PayPal contactless thing now

3 Likes

Yes, they have mobile card readers. Same with some takeaways.

Contactless / Google Pay is indeed so much easier for small purchases.

1 Like

That’s total bullshit. To obtain a terminal you have to sign a contract with a payment processor. To sign the contact you have to be a company. Initially the money is not instantly transferred to the seller. Payment processor works as an escrow. The seller can collect the money roughly 30 days after the transaction, if the seller gains processor’s trust the time on hold decreased, yes, but there always is a sum put on hold. You have 180 days to file a chargeback. Imagine what happens after payment processor receives a few chargebacks right after another, because someone had a terminal in the bus and scammed a few people. Yes, you’re right, the processor blocks the terminal and reverses the transactions (prolly with all the other transactions made if there is money on hold).

…as for the “billed for other people’s meals” - well… that sounds like human error and can happen with any payment method I don’t think it has anything to do with contactless payments.

Read the above. It’s just way simpler to put a knife on somebody’s throat and steal the money than go through the whole technical procedure to get a terminal and scam people. Remind you, getting a terminal requires starting a company, signing a contract with payment processor, waiting 30 days and praying no one notices. In short: you’re safe.

3 Likes

That’s not quite true. It’s not that hard to obtain the equipment you need without signing anything or having a company. For the most part, sure, it’s pretty safe. But it’s not as safe as chip & PIN.

1 Like

Hit me up if you need terminals. Free DA license included.

7 Likes

Okay, tell me please then how Visa/Mastercard/AnyProcessor is going to transfer the money to you without signing any contracts.

As for the Faraday’s cage reqired to protect yourself - just have 2 contactless cards next to each other. I guarantee you that normal terminals (even with typical hardware signal duplication) will reject it. The equipment to read few cards collisionless is quite expensive and definitely not worth to scam a few people off $20. Again, it’s theoretically possible to scam people in the bus with contactless terminal, but practically it’s way easier to stab someone and run with the wallet.

2 Likes

To clarify, I’m not saying that contactless is bad, I love using it. But to say that it’s very difficult for someone to steal your details is just wrong haha.

1 Like

Yeah, while back I was in a tiny little “gift shop / assortments” store in a small village up North so I figured I’d have to pay with cash, turns out even she had contactless.

2 Likes

SumUp offer contactless terminals for around £20 :stuck_out_tongue: It’s very easy for a business to support it!

2 Likes