Hetzner - Dual Booting Windows & Ubuntu Minimal, Ubuntu Minimal fails to install

No. LXC relies on the host kernel etc. so you can’t run non-Linux OS’s inside of LXC containers on a Linux host.

Don’t see where you’re getting that from. If the performance hit was within the margin of error, like 2%, then sure, whatever. But there are cases where the performance hit is noticeable, and others huge. A few have suggested to use containers, but that’s only for running Linux OS’s.

No idea why you’re banging on about some dosh either.

Good luck with your budget.

So containers are a no go, then, as I specifically need to run both Windows 10, and Ubuntu, with little to no performance hit. Back to dual-booting it is.

To get the thread back on track, how would I manage this? Ubuntu Minimal refuses to install to the partitions it creates.

If you’re experiencing a noticeable/huge performance difference within a virtualized setup, then something is probably wrong :stuck_out_tongue: What virtualization have you tried?

If you need Windows, then your best best would probably be to run VMs on top of it. Have you tried this? If so, what did you try and what was the result?

I’ve tried VMWare before, and it was extremely slow, even with VTD. Looked at benchmarks for more professional VMs, and they are about 10% slower, with random reads being a third as fast as native: How fast is KVM? Host vs virtual machine performance! - Linux - Level1Techs Forums

Which is very bad. If it was a negligible performance cost, sure, go with VMs. But that’s not the case, and there don’t seem to be containers for Windows 10.

I assumed you measured yourself the issues you detailed when I wrote

I’m now inclined to believe that maybe you didn’t actually try and measure yourself. You’ve setup Windows first (which is pretty mind-bobbling to me) and then you’ve faced some issues when trying to setup the other linux OS.
On top of it, it seems you have an auction box, and that doesn’t come with a permanent KVMoIP; that’s why I expressed concerns here:

and at this point it’s unclear if you attempted to install your second OS using such a device or, rather, one of ancillary methods available in the Robot interface. Also, whilst it’s possible to reboot in either OS without the need for IPMI/KVM, it is arguably necessary at least for setup (especially if you’re unsure about your steps)

As multiple people stated already, the performance loss nowadays should be really negligible. WSS says “10% (at most)”, but really that’s the most horrendous scenario. I haven’t installed Windows bare metal for at least 10 years. There ain’t even the hassle to configure some GPU passthrough for proprietary drivers in your case.

The review you’re quoting is quite old too. QEMU/KVM is going to perform a lot better. I’d insist in setting up a proxmox (if you’re not well versed in administering a QEMU/KVM otherwise) and double check yourself. The administrative overhead you’re going to face otherwise wouldn’t really make it worth it.

I’ll tell you, I tend to always aim at the absolute possible performance but we are talking about peanuts. It’s seems quite a non-issue to me

I’d avoid going for the opposite, that is: keeping a Windows host whilst virtualizing linux (using virtualbox or vmware or whatever)

1 Like

conan exiles runs just fine with wine and also in a VM beneath proxmox. but maybe that’s just for me… and for sure windows itself is the much bigger ressource hog compared to a virtualization layer.

however ressources aside, dual boot means you have to switch os and can’t have the gameservers running parallel or without interruption. that’s even worse…

1 Like

I found the culprits which are several calls made by Conan Exiles, which causes performance to crater on WINE. Used TOP and HTOP to find the specific calls: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33136

No response from the devs at all. Each of the servers use all the hardware threads of the i7 3770, and I’m only ever going to run one of them at a time. It’s only a quadcore CPU so that’s to be expected. If the server was running a Ryzen 3950x with the intent to run multiple servers at the same time, yeah dual-booting would be more of a hindrance.

But as that’s not my use-case scenario, dual-booting is the ideal. Still haven’t found a way past the error.

I’ll clarify. I requested the the KVM Console (1-3fps hardware remote control), which gave full control over the server, being able to control even the BIOS. It was a bog standard Ubuntu install, with the ISO burned to a USB stick which was then loaded by the server.

From what has been said in the thread, Proxmox only supports containers for Linux, Windows 10 not being supported. So that’s out, as I need both Ubuntu and Windows 10.

Proxmox supports QEMU/KVM (full blown virtualization) and LXC (containers).

1 Like