HostDoc - 4vCores, 8GB RAM, 50GB SSD+HDD only £4.99/m + More - Halloween Specials

I am not getting that either, working in all browsers I have just tested on.
Plans are provisioned within 24 hours of purchase although, it is much less than that most times.

here is a YABS for LA 2
TBH network is kind of meh, but disk IO and CPU is awesome, especially for the price :smiley:

root@la-6g:~# curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script/master/yabs.sh | bash
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2019-10-08                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat Nov  2 05:20:45 PDT 2019

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
CPU cores  : 3 @ 3599.984 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 5.8G
Swap       : 1.0G
Disk       : 29G

Disk Speed Tests:
       | Test 1      | Test 2      | Test 3      | Avg
       |             |             |             |
Write  | 634.00 MB/s | 306.00 MB/s | 635.00 MB/s | 525.00 MB/s
Read   | 1105.50 MB/s | 1007.58 MB/s | 1165.63 MB/s | 1.09   GB/s

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                          |                           |                 |
Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 239 Mbits/sec   | 80.9 Mbits/sec
Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.28 Gbits/sec  | 39.8 Mbits/sec
Severius                  | The Netherlands (10G)     | 253 Mbits/sec   | 31.4 Mbits/sec
Worldstream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 265 Mbits/sec   | 43.4 Mbits/sec
wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 253 Mbits/sec   | 34.2 Mbits/sec
Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | busy            | busy
Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 121 Mbits/sec   | 206 Mbits/sec
Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 2.46 Gbits/sec  | 51.8 Mbits/sec
Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 262 Mbits/sec   | 55.7 Mbits/sec
Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 276 Mbits/sec   | busy

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                          |                           |                 |
Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 251 Mbits/sec   | 69.5 Mbits/sec
Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 252 Mbits/sec   | 27.2 Mbits/sec
Severius                  | The Netherlands (10G)     | 247 Mbits/sec   | 28.8 Mbits/sec
Worldstream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 276 Mbits/sec   | 34.8 Mbits/sec
wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 252 Mbits/sec   | 32.7 Mbits/sec
Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 256 Mbits/sec   | 57.6 Mbits/sec
Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 274 Mbits/sec   | busy

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value
                |
Single Core     | 5840
Multi Core      | 13702
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14881282

Geekbench 5 results if anyone’s interested

3 Likes

los angeles no raid ?

LA
NVMe SSD - No RAID
HDD - SWRAID1

Only Dallas has dedicated ram right? Is LA shared ram?

A: Incorrect. All RAM and HDD/SSD/NVMe is dedicated on every HostDoc KVM. You can use every last byte that’s allocated to you.

CPU, disk IO and network are shared fairly between every VPS on a node.

What? At least for Singapore I know it isn’t dedicated. I remember I saw somewhere that Hostdoc said only Dallas has dedicated ram. When did that change?

We may need some clarification on this from @HostDoc - if I am wrong, my apologies!

We only currently offer dedicated RAM in Dallas and Kansas City.
Every other location has shared RAM.
Apologies for the wrong information provided.

1 Like

TIL… lol

Apologies again for that!

What do you mean by ‘shared RAM’? Oversold? Will it impact my VM if I use all the RAM provided?

No, it will not impact your performance.
Oversold? Not exactly. RAM has to be over allocated in the lowend market otherwise the majority of us would be unsustainable. It is not only in the lowend market RAM is shared either.
RAM that is available to an instance but not being used can be made available for another instance that is ready to use it.
There are a few nodes that have too much RAM that will never need to be shared, these are dedicated RAM as it will never be requested from another instance when not in use.
There is no noticeable difference between the two if the provider is responsible.

7 Likes

so. couldn’t resist to get one (Kansas). will post benches later…

@HostDoc some small things I noticed:

I’d consider automatically translating the ToS with google or whatever service a not so ideal thing, as legal language isn’t easy and quite some terms will get lost in translation. while I understand and agree that offering an (automated) translation might be helpful for people, I’d always leave the english original as default. the whole website feels a bit ‘weird’ autotranslated anyways :wink:

what’s even more problematic from a legal/tax point of view: if you offer to change the currency (which is great) and even issue an invoice in that changed currency - it MUST BE payable in that currency and not jump back to GBP on paypal checkout f.i.
I now ended up with a 5.80 € invoice but had to pay 6.06 € via paypal because of their different exchange rate. while I don’t mind the difference at all, I’ll run into problems later with the tax authorities because the numbers simply don’t match.

however, let’s see how provisioning goes and what the ressources and network has to offer :wink:

another idler to the mix :man_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Hi Falzo and welcome to the ward.

Regarding the translations, I think google could possibly be better than the one our site currently utilises. It seems the last update made the plugin that was not fantastic to begin with much worse.
I will look into having English as the default language or disabling it all together.

The problem with paypal is they always revert back to our accounts default currency no matter the currency the token from WHMCS was sent in.
They will auto convert with their own conversion rates back to GBP before sending a token back to WHMCS that the invoice has been paid in the currency presented.
I advise clients when asked to use stripe rather than pp if making international payments.

I think that @Falzo is suggesting disabling it altogether and to let people decide for themselves whether to run it through a translation program. After all, only the English version is the legally binding version.

Perhaps this is worth an FAQ item?

Perhaps disabling auto-translation for ToS and instead linking to a “TL;DR no guarantee/non legal binding” ToS summary with auto-translation would be the way to go. Iirc @Francisco has a Tl;dr ToS version and it’s great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I advise clients when asked to use stripe rather than pp if making international payments.

so with stripe I would have been aked for the 5.80 ? I haven’t used srtipe for quite a while, so genuine question :wink:

The problem with paypal is they always revert back to our accounts default currency no matter the currency the token from WHMCS was sent in.

alright, will see if and when I renew about it… if the stripe thing does not work as intended, I hope you can at least change the currency back to GBP in your system then for future invoices? As said it’s not neccessarily about the difference but about tax declaration :wink:

however, let’s see what that box can do. came with centos :face_vomiting: instead of the requested debian, but hey, I guess that’s due to the manual install :wink:
good chance to see if and how the reinstall works though…

Yes. That too is what my response implied.
Gone ahead and made English default across all sites. The option to change the language is now the users choice.

Added :wink:

1 Like