How many hours a day do you spend in front of the screen working?

Just read this article Why coders should work 5 hours a day! - Programming with Mosh and was wondering how long you guys usually sit in front of a screen each day working? Could that time be reduced if work projects were managed more efficiently? Why does it amount to so many hours, or why can it not be less?

Speaking for myself, outside of Corona I have a 10 hour/week part-time job where I spend about 8 hours in front of a screen (Uni Tech/Media Center kinda). Now it’s 100% home office, so that’s 10 hours per week in front of the screen for my part time job. Adding to that I spend an additional 4-5 hours per day in front of the screen right now due to all the University seminars being taught online (and the material/assignments also being digital). Add another 2-3 hours for my freelance work per week (either work or just reading docs/wiki) plus browsing HB/LET/LES and being a gamer and Netflix junkie at heart that amounts to quite a lot of hours per day in front of the screen. I try to get that workout in 3 times a week and when I remember to walk around a bit every hour but it isn’t always possible.

But enough about me. What about you guys? :slight_smile:

Too many hours haha… and not just one screen, quite the contrary.

I counterbalance all with being in nature a few times a day (right around the corner now, no more busy noisy crowded Amsterdam for now). And nobody notices I am “out” that often… I always seem to be online and everywhere to everyone.

oh btw… where would i be without Tmux :keyboard:

2 Likes

Since Corona and without the tourist Amsterdam is a lot less noisy and crowded :slight_smile:

I’ve spend way too much working in front of a screen the last couple months, probably around 10 hours per day. If I would be 100% productive I could probably cut it down to 6 hours I bet. The last couple of weeks i’ve been able to cut it down a bit by working in my office again so it’s easier to separate work/home.

1 Like

80-90% of my waking hours. I’ve been capitalizing on Corona so if anything I’ve been even more busy, even when I’m actively trying to stay off the desktop, I’m still on my phone constantly, no way to avoid it, best case the last two months has been checking my phone every 20 minutes when watching a movie / eating dinner.

The worst part about Corona (first world problems…) has been that I used to balance extreme screen time with forcing myself to neglect work (and thus the screen) by going out to eat, relax, or do any activity that gets me off the computer and out of the house (for example I simply can’t work efficiently on my phone, so it’s easier to neglect doing much for a couple hours), but now there’s nothing to do outside of going for a walk or exercise, it’s harder to justify.

I don’t know if I can be more productive, if I had a single job or a single task (like programming) then sure, that’s achievable. If you freelance or do many things like me, good luck. I finish one task, there’s a hundred more waiting for me. Some of them are immediately earning, so it’s about as hard to say “Nope, I’m done for the day” as it is to stop going for the high score in a game, or racing my ghost for hours on end trying to set lap records in Assetto Corsa.

1 Like

8h/day. If my boss depended, I would work 24/7…

2 Likes

Varies. I find some days I’m sat here most of the day, others not really at all. Having help for support and cutting down on the development work (and sticking to the sysadmin side of things) has really helped keep a good in-front-of-the-screen/away-from-it balance.

1 Like

these days usually if I am awake, I’m in front of one - mobile or pc. 2-3 hours a day usually for classes, then some work, learning, scrolling through posts, games and yes Netflix adds a few more extra hours.

1 Like

At least 8 hours a day throughout the week, definitely less during weekends. That is not factoring in TV or phone.

1 Like

So, we are all doomed haha :smiley:

This might be good for anyone of us, then:

Probably takes less time than going for a jog so not so easy to find an excuse.

1 Like

Normally: 6 hours behind my screen on a 7,5 hours working day. With on average an hour extra for my political work as a city councilor.

Now: 7,5 hours daily for work and at least 3 hours extra on 3 days a week for my political function as all meetings are digital now. On average (5 working days) that’s 9 hours and 20 minutes in front of my screen.

Too much if you ask me. I take regular breaks however. Go biking in the evening and walk at least 10.000 steps throughout the day.

Lately 12-14h 6-days a week. I’ve been trying to make the most of Coronavirus

1 Like

2 Likes