How Was Your Life Before CloudLinux?

Hi.
It looks like Cloudlinux is a must today for web hosting providers.

What tools you used to use to before getting a Cloudlinux license?

cgroups could probably impose “similar” restrictions. Or at least restrictions.

1 Like

Very sad. I was that weird white guy on infomercial…

Ps, cloudlinux been available for so long, I don’t even remember pre cloudlinux world.

4 Likes

Faster, better. I really dislike CloudLinux because I feel like it kind of punishes everyone for what someone might do.

I remember my server going way crazy before I came to knew CL. Well over the years they have been isolating individual user from others for instance mysql governer which we couldn’t even dreamed of before CL came into existence. To me its a must thing or else tell me an alternate. cgroups are very limited and most of the panels don’t even let you configure those limits.

1 Like

Alpine before, during, and after cloudlinux.

2 Likes

Well I mainly like CageFS cause it gives more privacy for users (not working on pgsql though). as for limits I use them on free plans only or users looking for trials.
So to answer your main question before Cloudlinux my servers were naked unless I disable python/perl and a huge list of needed php functions. let alone no SSH access to do 1337 cli stuff.

1 Like

Can’t cgroups and chroot provide the same protection as CloudLinux?

What is the difference?

Also, what can’t open source technologies provide that CloudLinux does?

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be the opposite of that? To prevent that exact thing?

That’s exactly the way hosts market it, but it imposes limits that otherwise aren’t there so it’s whole purpose is to slow everyone down equally “to prevent one client from causing problems for everyone.” It’s designed to let hosts oversell and perform little monitoring at the expense of every customer’s ability to burst high performance.

3 Likes

As an end user I’ve always been a bit indifferent about CloudLinux. Sure, in the past I’ve had my share of shared hosters with ridiculously low limits. After an unpleasant experience with a local hosting company that limited the I/O to just 500KB/s for a reseller package I decided to just go and host some of my projects and sites of friends and family myself. Done this for five years but decided I don’t want to maintain an internet facing webserver anymore.

Funny thing is that I found one of the last mohicans that doesn’t use Cloud Linux with All-Inkl. They just put a hard number of the maximum amount of customers per server. All these websites are flying, including a larger Wordpress blog and a private forum. Faster than on my 4C/8G UltraVPS vm.

So yeah, that proves it for me that limits aren’t a necessary evil and CloudLinux isn’t either. A lot of providers just use it to cram as many sites as possible on a server. That said, there are a lot of providers with reasonable limits in place. My personal blog is currently on Nexusbytes shared hosting and it’s very fast as well.

TL;DR Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no

5 Likes

I love you too. Hopefully LiteSpeed made life a bit faster :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or you just do like HostGator and custom compile your kernels to no longer report load accurately. Sever can’t be overloaded if server doesn’t display load!

9 Likes

I need more reading material on this sir.

A host I was evaluating a while back use KVM but patched the host machine to report 0 CPU steal time. Some of their servers felt heavily oversold in terms of CPU capacity, but you couldn’t tell from any monitoring scripts.

1 Like

Back when I was more involved with hosting, we used vanilla CentOS… No CloudLinux, no cgroups. This was in the days of the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, when cgroups wasn’t really popular (before cgroups2 existed, I think). Things are definitely different these days - Back then, a user with a bunch of inefficient scripts could really cause the entire server to slow down.

1 Like

It’s good to hear performance from All-Inkl is still what it used to be. I always thought there user limit approach in combination with German Providers’ little tolerance for abuse will keep things going quite well. Back when I used them performance was also great and I loved the 3 domains included for free (and that was even with a monthly contract). Support is swift, too.

While I believe CloudLinux has earned its’ place somewhere in the hosting industry I never was too fond of the resource limits imposed on website performance because of potential abuse. I like how All-Inkl does it the GOG way. Pirates be pirates anyway. Why throttle/hold back your legit customers. Then again, some providers are a magnet for abuse and probably couldn’t live without CL (or imagine to be able to live without it). At the end of the day everyone needs to find their own path regarding this.

Cheers