Is 144Hz Worth It?

NVIDIA switched to 144hz automatic, so no issue there.

I’ve got a gsync monitor at 144 hz. Some games dont support gsync (older games mainly, theyused to work but broke somehow) and playing those is really annoying.

If you go for a high refresh monitor with gsync, make sure you have it anywhere you play a game, and not just on your desktop while your laptop is stuck in the stone age.

I don’t think I am gonna need 144hz for Crusader Kings 2.

2 Likes

I went for higher resolution instead. Not sure which options would have been better.

Ehm. $500 for an LCD driver board is quite expensive.
I understand that this is a small volume production, but that doesn’t change the fact.

Very low latency.
Worth it imho.

I actually wonder how much latency do eBay LCD drivers have.

Well, it’s an engineering product. You aren’t just paying for an LCD driver board, that guy engineered everything other than the panel/backlight itself from the ground up, and in terms of many factors it is cutting edge. It’s (at release time) the first 4K120Hz on the market, beating out corporations who when they finally arrived at such technical specs, charged upwards of $2K (for an obviously more consumer-ready and polished product). It has the lowest latency in the world, bar-none, and yeah most people don’t care about that, and it’s a super niche product, but that doesn’t take away from its value. Panels themselves aren’t as important as the electronics that drive them, and manufacturers are purposefully gimping the electronics (or cutting as many corners as possible) because consumers do not demand progress.

I mean if you recognize that he could just take a cushy 6 figure+ job at any monitor manufacture and help them pump out tiny iterations while they fleece consumers for decades (if you judged the consumer panel industry the same way you did gfx industry you’d be furious), then the project existing itself is great. The price (after part cost) is essentially just R&D + labour.

People should demand more in this tech segment, and it shouldn’t be as closed-source and limited as it is. I would (and did) support something like ZisWorks solely for that reason, for progressing a segment of technology towards a more consumer-friendly ecosystem.

1 Like

That is very true.

The problem is that ASIC chip makers (like Realtek) don’t even publish datasheets for their ICs to non NDA subjects.

I don’t unfortunately see this changing anytime soon.

8k res and 288hz are the thing now.