Managed Plex Hosting

I’m tired of managing (and paying for) a great big server to run Plex for my friends. I don’t really want to go the route of a plexshare (at least not as the primary source of content) so I’ve been thinking about a managed Plex service instead. I’ve seen a few knocking about, including those combined with seedbed services (like Ultraseedbox) but I don’t really know where to start - does anyone have any suggestions?

Bytesized Hosting is where I got started before managing everything myself :slight_smile: The owner (@Animazing) used to visit here a bit too :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m still here! Just taking a bit of a sabbatical from work so mostly idle. Thanks for the recommendation though!

2 Likes

Thanks - considering I’m going the reverse path to you (from self-hosted to managed), is there anything I should watch our for when making the change?

Manage expectations. Personally, I like having as much control as possible over my setup, particularly as I like tuning things a lot. Bytesized (in my experience) still give you a lot of control over your setup, which is really refreshing. The other thing to consider is resource utilization; you’re probably going to have less resources available, but that’s unlikely to be an issue unless you’re supporting a lot of users/concurrent streams that require transcoding.

If you run into any issues, I’m sure the folks over at BH would be more than happy to help you out, though feel free to chuck any questions here as well :smiley: I’ll be interested to hear how you get on, regardless of what host you ultimately choose!

@Nekki just pay netflix, hbo max and amazon like a normal grown up. It’ll save you time and actually is cheaper. Fuck parasitic friends.

Lol. Fair enough. Gonna have to strongly disagree on it being cheaper. Saves time? Sure, a bit. Depends on how much manual work and time you want to put into it. It’s not hard to fully automate your setup.

I already do, although mainly for the missus. There’s very little I want to watch on those services though, and I hate nothing more than going back to watch something on my list only to find it’s been removed. Everyone sponges on my Netflix/Amazon/NowTV/BritBox/Hayu/Crunchyroll/Funimation subs too.

I’m doing about £100 a month on entertainment ATM, and I watch next to nothing myself. Mug.

Crunchyroll (60€/y) and Wakanim (~50€/year; belongs to Funimation) keep me fairly busy. I also have Flix, but the gf is the one using it more than I do. I use it often enough to make it worth it, though. Amazon Prime I do have, too. Almost never using Prime Video, though (have it for shipping only).