Moving Domains To/From CloudFlare

Despite loving CloudFlare, I was pretty disappointed to discover last night that you’re unable to transfer registered domains to a different account. I’m talking specifically about using CloudFlare as a registrar, as opposed to just for DNS.

It’s not a huge deal, but it’s frustrating that I would need to move the domain to a different registrar, and then move it back to achieve what I’m trying to do.

1 Like

Not a huge deal ? It’s pure BS.

1 Like

The only reason I’m inclined to agree with you is because you’re also unable to simply transfer a domain into CF either. So if I had a domain registered with CF and someone else also using CF wanted to buy it from me, we would need a middle man registrar, which is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Dont put all your eggs in one basket

1 Like

Regardless of the sentiment, the point still stands.

That sounds like a pita… Damn

1 Like

I’m having an issue with cloudflare domain registrar where they are telling me my domain is about to expire for the past 4 months and I can’t go ahead and renew it to stop the alerts. It says it will renew automatically with the payment method on file (my paypal) with no hint of when that will be.

Edit: Just got an email that my credit card on file could not be charged to renew the domain… paypal is on file, not a credit card. So I added a credit card and we’ll see how that goes.

1 Like

Time to move back to PorkBun. :joy:

But true, while CloudFlare is ever so slightly cheaper. The domain management provided by CloudFlare is super lacking.

2 Likes

It’s the reason I moved back to NameSilo.

NameSilo or any other domain registrar is just smoother I think. I transferred a few over and the pricing is good but there were just problems, invoices not appearing, nameserver glue confusion and not being able to transfer to another CloudFlare account. (I have a domain rightfully owned by @uptime but I’m still waiting for the functionality to transfer)

Eventually, the poor soul paid for an EPP transfer.

I’m also 85%~ sure support pulled a “oh you didn’t see it but it was definitely there” on me re invoice.

2 Likes

CF doesn’t allow you to change your name servers. As soon as my 60 days was up I transfers them out. If I could find a good affordable alternative for DNS I would move off then completely. Any suggestions?

Interesting to learn that Cloudflare is essentially crap as a registrar. It seems to be designed as a service to lock-in users.

Here you have a discussion:

2 Likes

KeyCDN and BunnyCDN

2 Likes

For DNS?

1 Like

I hold a .info domain at Cloudflare. I put it there just for testing, while it was beta. So far I had no issues with it. I also have a Paypal agreement with Cloudflare, they charge me automatically for domain before expiration (I personally found it useful).

Customers can transfer domains away from Cloudflare, and it is not possible to change nameservers while domain uses Cloudflare, meaning it forces you to use their DNS service.

I would transfer out of Cloudflare, but for .info gTLD this is my best option at the moment, or until transfers/renewals will get cheaper within Covid19 aftermath.

To clarify, I still love CloudFlare’s offering and still plan on moving a collection of domains to them; however, it’s frustrating that to move a domain to a different CloudFlare account, you have to pay to transfer it to a different provider and then back.

1 Like

:blush:

Give Dynu a chance.