My Chromebook Adventure

Samsung tablets have never been great. I had the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 and it was awfuuuul. It was running Android Honeycomb, which Samsung refused to upgrade. Those SOBs didn’t update it to KitKat so guess what? Touchwiz on my Tab 2.0 never got folder support.

I honestly don’t know of any single tablet that Samsung has produced that matched the speed/reliability of both the Chromebook and iPad.

1 Like

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) with a battery that is starting to go. I also have the original Surface Pro for the computer I take when traveling, and mostly use it to remote into my desktop computer at my office. I was thinking that maybe I could get one device to handle the duties of both, but I haven’t really been able to find something that checks all of the boxes. Chromebook sounds interesting. I hadn’t really considered it before.

Have a look at the Acer R11, dirt cheap, good size screen, 10 hours battery and runs android apps including Microsoft’s RDP client

1 Like

Are there any reasonable ones that have better screen resolution? I prefer at least 1920x1080.

A year and change later- these are pretty easy to replace, FWIW.

@WSS Instead of CloudReady you could always just flash Android x86 on any laptop drive.
I also considered CloudReady then just flashed Android on an old laptop.

Is it like Darwin/x86? Does it have as much support?

Don’t know about Darwin. All I did was flashing http://www.android-x86.org/ on a USB using YUMI. Then booting it up and it let’s you select to run as live system or install onto a (system) drive so I guess that’s what you’d wanna do.

(Hi all, first post!)

Chromebooks can be a decent replacement for Android tablets if you don’t mind the laptop form factor, they get basically similar apps. It might also depend on what the tablet is being used for. Some people don’t want a physical keyboard if they’re just checking social media, reading news or watching videos. Others might like the laptop form where the device sits easily on the knees during a commute for typing and the screen angle is adjustable.

I’ve been using an Asus Chromebook as a netbook replacement/thin client (less of a tablet replacement) with Linux running off a microSD card for about a year. While running from the card is slower (installing to internal eMMC is also an option), the I/O is tolerable and it’s easy to install/replace the system. Being able to run a “full” Linux distro on one of these made a big difference for me. Most of the usual apps are available, a few that weren’t I looked for Raspberry Pi releases.

Unfortunately the screen isn’t high-res (11.6", 1366x768) and some reviewers say the colours are a bit pale. It doesn’t really bother me, though, given much of the time is spent staring at a dark-themed terminal anyway. :smile: Overall I’m happy with it, ymmv.

2 Likes

I have the odd case where I have a specific build of stink pad which came with either Windows 8, 10, or chrome OS. Being that has a spinny platter, loram, and a standard Intel x86 platform, I’ve decided to dump Windows 10.

Even my favorite low resource use Linux are quite slow on this beast - I wouldn’t mind a slightly older chrome OS, but I just can’t seem to find it.

Lenovo does not appear to offer restoration software for this device. Any suggestions?

1 Like