Netcup Webhosting - Experiences?

Hi everybody!

I wonder: Does anybody here have experience with Netcup’s webhosting? Is it decent? Prices seem good, limits too. I am tempted…

Thanks in advance & kind regards
Amitz

1 Like

I used them for a throwaway vanity domain because they were both like $0.25/mo for a year.

Email service delivered (literally), and their homebrew management worked just fine. No complaints for that sort of deal.

Their KVM root VPS are pretty good. The budget ones are OK. I’d suggest a US based host these days. Forbid you use the wrong gender pronoun.

1 Like

neryously-hee-hees-44348228

1 Like

I had so much fun…oh wait… I didn’t. Their system for adding external domains sucks. Usually, I transfer a website to the new host first while leaving the old web page online and test the new site thoroughly using hosts file / hosts.cx. Netcup, however, only allows to add an external domain when the ns point to netcup hence pretty much asking for downtime as there is no way (I know of) that allows you to test your site beforehand. Overall, their whole domain managment system was kinda shitty. I don’t remember all the details, but I remember I couldn’t add my external domains due to the respective nameservers not being accepted. Netcup only seems to accept their own nameservers, no external ns… It’s been one big shitshow and I’m glad I’m gone. Perhaps it’s better now. Oh, I also think 50% of your disk space is reserved for email.

1 Like

If I remember it correctly, their current setup is the contrary: addon domains don’t get to use Netcup’s nameservers. You have to have your own nameservers and they’ll give you the A, CNAME, MX, etc. records to populate it.

3 Likes

Too much hassle lol. Coming from a cPanel host (or even DA) that just works, I won’t touch them for a while. At least their webhosting that is. Just my opinion though. Could be that they have improved things a lot now.

1 Like

Which pretty much forces you to use a registrar who offer basic NS services, or to maintain your own DNS - when most folks who want a placeholder website don’t really give half a fuck about managing their own shit.

That’s pretty dumb.

2 Likes

What about all-inkl.com? They would be the next best choice for me…

1 Like

All-Inkl have been nothing but superb for me. Had their Premium plan with phone hotline/e-mail (great support) Support back then and they include a lot of free domains with their plans (even if you only pay monthly plans). They use their own “KAS” web interface which you’ll need to get used to a bit (old-ish look last time I checked) but they really were peace of mind hosting for me :slight_smile: Note: LE SSL is included from second plan onwards. Smallest plan it’s “optional” (I assume some monthly fee?!). Give them a try by all means. They have a free trial with no strings attached.

1 Like

Thank you, @Ympker! Will take all-inkl seriously into consideration!

1 Like

Please do :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must admit that I am quite indecisive. I lost focus on the shared hosting market years ago, since I started with VMs and dedicated servers. All those limits and different packages seem strange to me, knowing myself what is easily possible with an own server and what isn’t. I have already paid Netcup one year in advance for one of their webhosting offers (the price of a dedicated server per month, so really not a big sum) and now think about leaving it idle and cancel to go with all-inkl.com after your raving feedback…

The webhosting account is meant to host my company’s website and eMail. Nothing fancy, our business is not very digital at all. Just a plain website and good working eMail. But I need it to work mostly flawless and have good support at hand if something does not work as expected. This is where all-inkl.com seems to shine. It cannot be their quite oldish control panel (which is just fine for me, no need for more) or spinning disks that make them stand out of the crowd. From a technical point of view, netcup seems to have a more modern setup than all-inkl.com.

We are hosted since 19 years at 1&1 and I would like to leave them for several reasons. I only want to make sure that the switch will improve things, instead of making it worse… I never thought that choosing the right webhost would cause me that much pain… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hear you, mate. To be fair I am not using All-Inkl anymore today but that is because I have gone for minimum budget since I have only my personal site to host which is a blank page at (lol) and parked my parents site at HostMantis for now. That being said, once I will be off to Valencia for 6 months I’ll probably move my parents’ site to All-Inkl so they have german support they can talk to and rely on since I won’t be able to do the hand-holding while away. I’d recommend them again any day. You can get a “unverbindlicher Testaccount” for a week Webhosting kostenlos testen - ALL-INKL.COM or/and settle on any of their plans and enjoy 3 months at no cost. That is also the case when opting for monthly contract iirc. The first time I used them I canceled after the free months was over and I think back then I wasn’t even charged for the 2 domains I had setup that were included. What I am saying is you basically have a trial of 1 week no strings attached + 3 months leave whenever. Give them a call, talk to them. They are nice :wink:

Netcup is definitly more “modern” but due to “reasons” I will probably never use them for shared hosting again.

Hope I could help you a bit with the decision :wink:

The 4 plans (cheap to expensive) and the respective support included:

I’d opt for the second tier to get Lets Encrypt SSL included and for the 24h line. That being said if you are happy to pay for LE SSL (or dont need it), the phone line for the lowest tier is still open till 24:00 during the week which is HUGE for a german provider imho.

What’s also pretty cool, is they are transparent about how many other accounts are hosted on your server and - like I said earler - no Mindestvertragslaufzeit:

1 Like

Thank you so much, @Ympker, for the detailed information!

1 Like

You’re welcome mate :wink:

1 Like

Just bought myself a “Premium” package (needed SSH access) at all-inkl.com. Let’s see how it works out! Thanks again, @Ympker!

1 Like

Enjoy :wink: Please tell me how you liked it (pm or here).

@Amitz for that 10 bucks a month you could have just asked me to take care of your stuff :wink:

though I have to admit, there are times I am sleeping too. however, that’s what phone calls are for, no matter the time :laughing:

2 Likes

Laughed at the last sentence haha😂

1 Like

Go with PHP Friends, germany as well, far better network, good hardware with dedicated cpu cores, nested virtualization, and there’s a awesome offer going on PHP Friends October Special: 2 Cores, 65GB SSD, 6GB RAM, 1 Gbit/s | 4€/m Recurring

2 Likes