New Raspberry Pi 4 Is Now Available

It took them a good while but a new version of raspberry pi is now available

New Features:

• CPU is about 1.5x to 2x faster in most benchmarks than previous gen
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • 2x micro-hdmi ports for up to 2x 4K monitors

$35 to run anything browser based in two monitors is not bad. The 2x USB 3.0 ports will help those who want to run a NAS without adding any expansion boards. A better CPU makes everything slightly faster.

I own one old first gen Raspberry PI B that I use as a WIFI Repeater and may get this new one as a HTPC (first gen one was barely able to playback 720p)

Are any of you interested in getting one?

11 Likes

Yeah, @Michael mentioned this in The Ball Pit earlier on. Very exciting changes!

1 Like

There’s absolutely no reason for built-in Gig-E for most applications if the USB drivers are half decent. Take that off and sell it for $32.

On all previous RaspberryPi models, the Ethernet and USB ports shared the same data bus. They separated them on this revision. So now if I want to host a website off of my Pi, on my 1G fiber network, with a USB attached HDD, I can! Don’t tell me it’s a bad idea, because I’m already streaming all my cat videos to the world :smile_cat:

3 Likes

That’s kind of what I said I was in favor of, indirectly.

You should host it off an SD card tho…

You underestimate the amount of HQ 4K cute cat videos that I have.

1 Like

Yeah… I stopped following the Ball Pit a while ago :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hey! I was gonna buy a 3 recently, this is my shot!

Where the UK retailers?

1 Like

That 4GB model may finally be worthy of a desktop, perhaps at least equivalent to what one might use a cheaper chromebook for.

4 Likes

I always use the pi hut. You’ll be lucky to get one now thou :slight_smile:

I ordered a 1Gb today and will order a 4Gb when they come back in stock

3 Likes

Woot.

Spotted some 2Gbs in stock :wink: Any particular reason you skip it?

2 Likes

1Gb for the collection and to see how it compares. I’ve got every pi since the original B.

4Gb to replace the 3+ media centre in the bedroom, might see how it performs as a desktop first.

3 Likes

Its the worst deal out of them in my opinion

1GB - $35
2GB - $45 (+$10 for 1 GB)
4GB - $55 (+$20 for 3 GB / +$10 for each 1.5GB)

4 Likes

Good info to know :smiley:

1 Like

Good to know about the PSU changes.

Now I can invest in a higher amp rated ARM board UPS, if I don’t replace the lead-acid 2x12V on my APC 1kva.

1 Like

Nobody ever seems to bring up the lack of SATA, a deal breaker for me. I know the Raspberries never do SATA, but I am happy with my BananaPi that does have SATA. (Am I old-fashioned, or misguided in wanting SATA?)

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

While I do love rpi products I’d love things like not dealing with the sd.

2 Likes

I agree with you, I wouldn’t mind the option of being able to use $20 120GB SSD instead of a sd card.

USB 3.0 probably handles your regular HDD, it would require an adapter though

2 Likes

Waiting for cases to come in stock and then the great upgrade begins. I’ve got a 1Gb 4 and it blows the 3+ out of the water for libreelec.

I would say the software (even raspbian) feels exceptionally unfinished which is a shame. I suspect it will be a few months before it gets software parity with the 3+

I’m gonna get a 2Gb and a 4Gb to play with

2 Likes