Node Migration + CDN Deployment

If. It for the wastage of IP space I’d say anycast it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t notice any real difference between pure Hetzner and the first CDN you tried, but CF seems better than Bunny at least. :wink:

1 Like

That’s faster now.

I should have pointed out it was only on an “initial” request it was slow. If I refreshed/revisited within a short space of time the results weren’t too bad. But first visit in the morning was quite slow.

Seems better now though.

guess I am lucky… either I always miss the time @Jarland tries something new or it’s just that regardless if it’s direct or whatever CDN - being in germany for that matter always helps :wink:

never noticed any slow speed with HB … I guess all CDNs have at least a POP in FRA or AMS :joy:

2 Likes

Seems pretty good now with CF, which it should considering I have 1ms to a CF POP :stuck_out_tongue:

Just noticed the favicon is gone after switching to CDN…

Well it’s super slow form Portugal, fiber connection, FTTH, it takes like 5 seconds to load, and errors often with 520 error.

Seems to be something else though. Loading this via IPv6, ping is only 13 ms, but, slow as hell can’t even edit my post above.

FYI @Jarland <3

Edit: Loads fine via IPv4 only.

Edit 2: More or less.

File format issues, this should be fixed now :slight_smile:

1 Like

How did you go about doing it? I followed this (I just had to move my employer’s forum from Azure to Digital Ocean) and it was easy as hell haha. Make a backup of the forum, stand up a new instance, switch the DNS over, then restore the backup to the new instance after ensuring that the app.yml files are near enough identical.

Can I ask how much monthly traffic does a forum of this size generate?

About tree fiddy

1 Like

Taking a quick peek behind the scenes, we average ~20k page views per day, the majority of which is crawlers. ~3-4k per day from just logged in + anon users.

1 Like

That’s pretty much it but my goal in migration is to not have users viewing an empty or pre-setup forum where they can beat me to admin registration (even though it goes to my email). It feels sloppy. So I did it on a subdomain and then changed the URL.

1 Like

We’re a bit more settled now. Is the site still slow for some of you?

I wanted to let caches settle in place before checking back with results.

2 Likes

Guess it’s good enough for me at least.

I never noticed any issues … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Works fine now :wink:

Alright it was a fun experiment. I enjoy toying with things. It’s not like a few minutes downtime sends us all into a frenzy with nothing in our lives to do, so yeah. I did things.

Hetzner received zero performance complaints from anyone else, and HB on Cloudcone received several. Even with 8 cores it would cap out easily and wouldn’t make writes to the database as quickly. We’re talking extra delays of up to 1 second so not bad by any means, but noticeable when editing a post sometimes.

So back to Hetzner? Alright. We’re on a dedi now though.

E3-1275 v5
64G Mem
2x 512G NVMe

Hell it’s not even more expensive because Hetzner.

9 Likes

It does feel faster. The CPU and disk IO are just faster, and I thought that it wasn’t enough to make a difference but it turns out it really is.

1 Like

It does indeed, although i didn’t experience any problems these last days.

1 Like