OVH/SYS & Proxmox IPv6 issues

Hi guys,
So around new year I got myself a nice little SYS-server from their Christmas/New Year-sale.
I also got a /29 IPv4 to go with to have a few VMs on it.
It’s been working good except for a few things that have been bugging me for a while.
I mostly run KVM and OS is Debian (thx). I also run a few LXC containers (which doesn’t have this problems).

The issue is basically that the KVM is dropping it’s v6 default route after booting, could be minutes to a day. It’s as simple as adding it back with ‘ip -6 route’ so on, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Like I said this does only happen on KVM, not LXC and I tried with CentOS also, where this problem did not appear. Thoughts?

Another thing, when installing from the netinstall image I am unable to get networking connected. I need to manually edit the interfaces file after installing.
My range is 149.202.x.x/29, and the gateway to be used is 94.23.x.x and Debian (nor Ubuntu) will accept this. CentOS again does.
Tips for a workaround here so it would be easier to get a new one up and running for testing etc.?

Thanks!

–daffy

1 Like

Hi daffy,

usually if your gateway is not in the local range you need to add the route for the gateway for it to work as linux assumes that if its not directly connected it is not reachable.
You can check this by searching through journalctl -u network or networking depending on the distro, the faulure to add the route should be logged.

In Debian you can add the route by adding the route command to the /etc/network/interfaces config file (see NetworkConfiguration - Debian Wiki, something like up ip route add default via 94.23.x.x . In Centos this can be done by adding a route to a file like /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0 (something like default via 94.23.x.x dev eth0). Google this :slight_smile:

This normally works in lxc containers because proxmox adds these routes/files for you. So maybe just check how proxmox added these routes on you lxc cpontainers and you will find the answer as well :wink:

hope this helps

Hi @pr0lz and thanks for your reply, but if you read it a bit more carefully you will see that I already have it working in Debian. I just wanted to know if anyone had any pointers as to how to make it work in the installer.
In CentOS it works in the installer, no need to edit anything afterwards.