Plexus - A Suite of Tools to Help Manage Your Collection

I mentioned this project here, but there’s been quite a bit of activity on the repo recently so I thought I would create a dedicated thread.

A while ago, I built a script that would allow me to re-encode my entire Plex collection into x264 and AAC with native Rclone support. The script works on both Debian/Ubuntu and CentOS/Rhel. I’ve left this running over my 60TB+ GDrive collection for months at a time with no issues :slight_smile: There’s an automated installer on the repo, so installation is as easy as entering a single line into your terminal. There’s also a built-in install function which automates the installation of each of the dependencies (including building FFmpeg from source for extended codec support).

The idea is that you build a list of your media via plexus list -a "aac" -v "x264" -d "/path/to/media" and then encode that list via plexus encode -a "aac" -v "x264" or with the -r RCloneRemote: flag for direct Rclone support. A list is used (instead of in-place encoding) so that you can stop and resume encoding at any point.

You can specify different codecs via CLI flags or by using the config file:

audio_codec="aac"
convert_dir="$HOME/.plexus/encode/convert"
converted_dir="$HOME/.plexus/encode/converted"
ffmpeg_binary=""
ffmpeg_threads="2"
ffmpeg_preset="faster"
ffprobe_binary=""
force_overwrite="true"
fusermount_binary=""
hardware_acceleration="false"
hardware_codec="opencl"
list_file="$HOME/.plexus/list.txt"
media_container="mkv"
media_dir="/mnt/plexdrive"
mount_dir=""
rclone_binary=""
rsync_binary=""
video_codec="h264"
video_library="libx264"

If you have any feature requests or other ideas, I would love to hear them :slight_smile: You can find the repo here:

13 Likes