Praising Hetzner

Nice video!
I find it interesting how many mid-tower PCs are in use, rather than rackmount servers.

2 Likes

14,000 mid-towers! :exploding_head:

1 Like

It really is a great video. It’s a shame, in a way, that we have to be so strict with visitors because of security. It would be nice to offer more open-door events and watch people nerd out when they walk through the doors the first time.
But we have to make visits really rare because we need to watch everyone like hawks. We can’t have people sneaking off like Austin Powers and Vanessa Kensington when they toured Virtucon’s headquarters. (I don’t have a clip of that, but it’s what’s going through my mind right now.) :wink: --Katie

5 Likes

IPv6 only dedicated root servers

Hetzner is introducing an IPv6-only offering for the dedicated root servers. The official statement follows. (A single IPv4 address per server is still available at no extra cost, but it’s not a mandatory part of the offering anymore.)

You now have the option to order a server with just an IPv6 /64 subnet.
Our dedicated root servers will still include an IPv4 Addon by default,
but you can now easily cancel the IPv4 addon or remove it during the
ordering process.

We are also already hard at work on creating a cloud server option with
just an IPv6.

Starting tomorrow (Dec. 7th 2021) you can find more information at:
https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/ip/faq-primary-ipv4

Important reminder: Starting on 3 January 2022, we will increase the
monthly price for new orders and existing IPv4 addresses. You can find
an overview at:
https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/ipv4-pricing

Mhmm does that smell like :poop: everything was okay until the last part, since I didn’t knew it affected dedi’s too…

Hetzner, do something about your IP’s. Let us at least bring our own IP’s… I know we need to move forward to ipv6 but renting a /24 subnet costs 0.5$ per IP…

I was looking this forward on cloud servers first not on dedis…

Hi @Poli – First, thanks for re-posting our announcement. I really appreciate that.
I’m sorry about the price change for the IPv4 addresses, but that is one of the reasons we’ve been working hard in the past few months on more options. I know that, for many of you, this issue is more urgent for cloud products. We are working on future options and alternatives. As soon as those are ready to go go live, we will make an announcement to let you know. I’m sorry that we don’t have one ready for you at the same time as we do for the dedicated root servers.

In other news, we have a new YouTube video, and I got to help out this time. So I hope you enjoy it!

I apologize that I haven’t been more active here lately. We have been pretty shorthanded the past few months. We’re working to add new team members next year. I’ll be gone on vacation soon and will be gone for a few weeks. So if you have any questions, please write a support request or use our support form. --Katie

2 Likes

Any Chance BYOIP gets available to rented servers? Its because Hetzner is running out of IPv4 and not getting replenished whereas I am seeing too many IPv4 on Marketplace at average 50$/IP. Any chance in future of IPv4 price changes or BYOIP?

1 Like

The IPv4 prices will likely remain in place for the forseeable future. To the best of my knowledge, Hetzner doesn’t have a large reserve of extra IPv4 addresses, and we set the price to high because our company leaders think that the market for them will continue to be very volatile in the future. (We don’t want to have to change the prices for them every few weeks or months.)
Our cloud team is still developing possible IP options for cloud servers. When those are ready, we’ll make an announcement.
I do not believe that BYOIP is being developed as an option. However, I can certainly pass on a +1 for you for it.

In other news, we’ve got some big.LITTLE news, meaning that we’ve introduced a new server, the EX100.

–Katie

3 Likes

How does IPv6 only work? In comparison with the 15€ + VAT fee for a /56 IPv6.
I guess you only get a single IPv6 or a Subnet for free?

@Hetzner_OL

I believe the IPv6 only option is just the normal /64 that comes with each normal server anwyay.

The /56 option is an additional /56 as well as the /64 (or that’s how it’s been when I’ve ordered a /56 from them in the past, but @Hetzner_OL can confirm I’m sure).

1 Like

Uh yea a /64 right.

1 Like

/64 subnet each server!

1 Like

Yes, this. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: --Katie

1 Like

I just came across this thread but I 100% understand and agree with this sentiment. While many people might not be the most “jazzed” about it, I think adding extra buffer in order to mitigate price volatility makes the most sense for most customers.

Cheers!

1 Like

Any CentOS fans here? You might be happy to know that we recently added CentOS Stream 9 as a standard image to Hetzner Cloud. Hope that makes your Friday just a little bit more Friday-y. :slight_smile: --Katie

Well rip hetzner internal DNS, all my servers there suddently started doing wierd errors.

My karma is sometimes really bad, I upgrade something on my side search for the issue but it’s not even on my side… switched to Cloudflare dns works fine again.

I’m sorry that something went wrong @Poli. Did you write a support request about this? If so, did someone get back to you already? --Katie

No worries it’s just my perfect karma was this issue : Hetzner Online Status

2 Likes

We thought we would start off this week with some good news. Our team has changed the Storage Box packages to up the amount of storage and resources you get for each package. --Katie

6 Likes

I just wanted to clarify something because there was some confusion about it elsewhere. The upgrade for the Storage Boxes does not happen automatically. But you can do it in a few quick clicks on Robot. --Katie

These prices are insane! I literally Love it!!! :star_struck: