Question regarding Softaculous "Clone" function

I am looking to rebuild a wordpress site of domain.com . For that I created demo.domain.com . When I clone the demo.domain.com in Softaculous and select domain.com as destination apparently the source wp login details remain. But do all the links change respectively from demo.domain.com to domain.com or will I need to edit them manually in db?

Check your wp-config, ensure proper URL and paths are setup, and finally, anything hard coded in your entries will generally not be rewritten.

1 Like

If you need to edit them, WP-CLI’s search-replace works wonders:

wp-cli search-replace '\bdomain\.com' 'newdomain.com'

This regex breaks down if you don’t want to change foo.domain.com to foo.newdomain.com. If you have those URIs on your site, you could use a negative lookbehind to only match on word boundaries if the preceding character isn’t a period…

wp-cli search-replace '\b(?<!\.)domain\.com' 'newdomain.com'
1 Like

Have a look at Duplicator WP Plugin. Can use it to clone and move a website domain.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, mate. I do know enough plugins to move WP (AIO WP Migration, Updraft…) and also how to manually do it. Was just wondering whether that “clone” feature of Softaculous would do the same in one click since I only want to switch from my subdomain to main domain :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries mate. I’ve not used Softaculous Clone but have used that plugin to move a site from a sub domain to main domain. It did auto update all links etc

1 Like

Ah, yes Duplicator is recommended by many.
I’ve mostly done some search and replace in a mysqldump before importing at new site.

Sometimes you need a third party plugin to search/replace parts thats not cleartext, like Muffingroup offers their own tool to search&replace urls:
http://muffingroup.com/plugins/mfn-migrate-cb.zip
(I’ve used this with BeTheme.)

1 Like