Rate Your Internet Service Provider(s)

How is the Internet Service where you live? What providers do you use? Pros and cons of your providers.

I’m about 60% of my time in Southeast Asia for work and 40% in Rural Ontario, Canada helping at parents small farm. I have (have had) Internet Service with several providers.

Canada

Home: Nor-Del Cable 30/5 Mbps 300gb $50 CAD monthly after taxes.

Good: They are a very small local ISP so I like supporting them. Friendly staff and techs.
Bad: Oh my… Well they are a very small ISP. No ipv6, one link from their provider Brantford Hydro goes down and the whole network goes down. Stability is meh at best. Price should be much lower.

Mobile: Fido 4gb LTE data for $15 a month.

Good: Price is great for Canada. I have no phone service, I use a voip.ms account and clients for voice and SMS over data. Works fantastic, people can contact me on a local number when I’m overseas, with the odd kink.
Bad: Fido is the budget brand of Rogers. Rogers used to be great when they were early Cable Modem and Cable Access TV only. Coverage is sketchy in some parts of my County. Dead Zones

Thailand

Mobile: DTAC 899THB monthly ($30 USD) 30GB + 5GB LTE Roaming Data in other SEA countries (Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia). 400 mins talk time.

Good: Perfect for my work as I bounce between these countries frequently. I have my girlfriend on my account too. Easy to setup with a sim and plan at Suvurnabhumi Airport (BKK).
Bad: Text messages in Thai I can’t read. When I have to call customer service. My Thai is mediocre at best, and their Engrish is just as bad sometimes.

Companies also used previously

AIS (Thailand), TrueMove (Thailand), Telkomsel (Indonesia), SoftBank (Japan), Maxis (Malaysia), StarHub (Singapore), Smart (Cambodia).

Czech Republic

Home previously: 60/25Mbps from a local WISP (5GHz), 20 odd EUR a month including 1 public IPv4

Good: Local provider, good support, /64 routed IPv6, static public IPv4
Bad: Wireless technology prone to weather, speed drops or total connectivity loss during heavy storms

Home now: 250/25Mbps VDSL from O2.cz, 28 EUR ish a month including modem rental

Good: High speeds, stable in any weather. It’s FTTC.
Bad: CG-NAT, dynamic routed /64 IPv6, modem is retarded

Mobile: O2.cz 5GB student plan, 15.5 EUR / month

Good: Usually around 80Mbps+ in major areas and 30Mbps+ anywhere, unlimited SMS (as should be common)
Bad: Expensive - but still sadly better than what is common nowadays, no IPv6, no unlimited calls

I don’t mention free roaming throughout the EU as that’s a law.

1 Like

Home: Vodafone Cable

Pros: If it works, 400/25.

Cons: If it doesn’t (which is quite often the case), you are fked. The support is close to non-existens and you’ll spend ten minutes pressing numbers on your phone to navigate through their hotline robot only to be hanged up upon given notice about the existence of their web FAQ. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you will get an actual person to the phone. Most times that’s only if billing is concerned. Until then reboor your router and pray. Theit WhatsApp and E-Mail/Ticket Support is just as bad.

Mobile 4G/LTE: O2 Free,
1GB Highspeed and unlimited data at 1 Mbits Up and Down.

Pros: It just works.

Cons: Sometimes in forests etc it sucks.

1 Like

Current Provider: Zen
Pros: Steady, fast - was told it would be 60/20 and it is pretty much all the time. We get people on the local village group complaining about their TalkTalk internet down, plus net down, etc, only had 30 mins downtime in about 14 months. IPv6 subnet, fixed IPv4
Cons: Not the cheapest provider

1 Like

I’ve got Bell Canada Fiber 300 / 300 at 90 Canadian rubles.
No cable TV at home, so it works out.

1 Like

Vodafone Business Cable at home.
500 Mbit both ways. Works fine most of the time. If it doesn‘t, see @Ympker.

T-Mobile on the run. Works well. 10 GB transfer with LTE, then getting throttled to 1995 speeds.

3 Likes

You seem to be a rich person. Are you Batman?

1 Like

Nah… I got 500/500 too, KPN Fiber in NL, and Ziggo Cable 5/100 as backup

1 Like

@BlaZe
I am some kind of popstar in my small world. You should see my golden genitalia augmentation. Impressive stuff! :wink:

3 Likes

Home: TalkTalk around 32/10

Pro: No noticeably slow down during peak times, one of the cheapest UK isp.

Con: ping spikes very often so totally useless for online gaming.

Mobile: Vodafone 20GB unlimited calls/text

Pro: Speed in major urban area normally 40Mbps plus, fastest 4G+ speed I had was 205Mbps, price is £20 month directly from Vodafone got it via a third party retailer on a cashback deal for £7 a month.

Con: Outside of major urban areas speed can be quite rubbish slower than my last provider EE as you normally expect with Vodafone customers service totally hopeless if you got any issues.

1 Like

Home : KT 500/500 @33000KRW (~28USD)/m

Pros : Has one of the best international peering in South Korea. Pure fiber line which gives you stable internet speed.
Cons : International peering still sucks. No local Netflix cache server

Mobile : SKT 2GB/Unlimited 400Kbps, talk, text @25000KRW (~21USD)/m

Pros : Has one of the fastest LTE connection, 200+Mbps on Seoul. IPv6 support (only on LTE/5G, not 3G or Broadband).
Cons : Bit more expensive than other carriers.

2 Likes

Xfinity - its basically comcast so that should explain everything.

It does work, but my upload speed is ridiculously low compared to my dl speeds. Also avoid ever having an issue or questions for these people. The trauma from their phone lines isnt worth it

1 Like

Home: BT 80/20 (£44.99/m)

Pros: Fastest in the area (excluding business lines), no slowdown during peak times, great ping times and general peering.
Cons: No real issues after being with them for 5+ years.

Mobile: Vodafone (£42/m, includes handset, company pays for it)

Pros: 30GB data per month, generally great coverage.
Cons: Annoyingly, pretty bad 4G coverage throughout Canterbury which is where I’ve recently moved to. I rarely need it, but it’s annoying nonetheless.

2 Likes

Ah, Canterbury. Reminds me of The Expanse.

“Remember the Cant.”

3 Likes

3 Likes

Where I am in Texas I have AT&T Fiber, 1Gbps symmetrical no cap for $95/m through a reseller (no contract or separate fees.) Only downside is their forced router (FTTH > ATT Device) has some connection limit for P2P so without a small limit basically kills it. Good thing is I’ve always been able to max out the port in both directions anytime.

In our area we also have access to Spectrum (cable) internet which is 1Gbps download for $105/m but they don’t tell you the upload, it’s hidden in fine print usually (I think it’s 50Mbps upload), they’re a shady shitty cable provider like the rest. Viasat (satellite) is also an option, from $70/m - $200/m (highest is 100Mbps no cap satellite).

I used to use Spectrum but switched to AT&T through a reseller since it’s FTTH with no cap.

I use a Sprint 5G hotspot device (HTC 5G Hub) now as backup internet, since Sprint LTE and 5G in my area gets 60Mbps in my home and 100-250Mbps on average in the area.

Perks of living in big city.

1 Like

Should look into packages that are available for you now in your province. In NS, i started at 300/300, system bumped to 500/500 eventually but then i noticed that 1000/1000 was $20 less than I was paying. So $20 less for double speed? Sounds good to me…

Thailand
Internet: 100/100 fiber from 3BB at THB 590/month (~USD 20), works great, solid company for many years.
Phone data: 4G 15GB from DTAC for THB 299/month (~USD 10), no issues, customer service much improved the past few years.

Home:
KPN VDSL2, 60 / 30 Mbps. € 35 / month including iptv. Can bump it to 200 / 60 if I want, but I’m good, there’s just the two of us.

Cellular:
Vodafone, 9 € / month for 2 GB. Have a dual sim that holds a company Sim card as well, so basically unlimited data. Rarely use over 2 GB though.

1 Like

How did you manage to get 500Mbit symmetrical with Vodafone?
Can’t find that package anywhere on their site.

Also thought they’re not that far with rolling out DOCSIS 3.1.