Self Hosted Email Clients - What Are You Using?

Using tiny embedded graphics, which are downloaded when the user opens the email? I’m aware of at least 2 other providers doing this.

2 Likes

Read receipts really tick me off, most clients believe that they’re entitled to an immediate reply after they get the notification.

5 Likes

Not to mention if they are viewing in plain text mode (no html) or have external images disabled (default for many email clients), then your tracking isn’t really all that accurate.

1 Like

I guess its still better than an implicit request for confirmation. Which by the way, I have set to Never Send a Read Receipt. The question alone bugs me.

@Mason
It’s just a helper and works with big email providers like Gmail out of the box. It also works with other mail clients that load HTML/Images (the number is increasing). The tracker is not injected into the plain text version so if the recipient’s mail client wants plain text - clean plain text it gets.

However, we think that it’s an advantage to have some kind of information about the read status of the email than none at all. There is also a standardized “Request Recipient” option when composing an email if you like tracking it old school. If you’re hard old sql you can even check “Use plain text only” in settings :sleeping:

And we are not a provider, we are a software that the providers install for use by the end users.

2 Likes

Without any data, I’d say that the number of such providers that have their email clients default to never load external images is also increasing. I think that’s why @Mason feels that way.

I think its a nice feature, nevertheless.

So… are you the one confirming that Mxroute will be showcasing your mail client? … @Jarland is probably knees deep on some moonshine and won’t share anything with us :frowning:

1 Like

Agreed, for sure! I think it’s good to have the option to use that as a feature. Some probably find it really helpful and informative. Any little bit counts to make yourselves stand out from the competition :slight_smile:

Well, he does make the best decisions when he’s 4 glasses in to his everclear reserve (case in point - MXRoute’s start, HostBalls, etc etc.). And obviously leaking any information to us fine chaps about upcoming features is a great decision in my opinion, so who knows? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There is around 30 hosting companies (with over 150 servers combined) participating in the closed beta. We hope to have a good partnership with MXroute too :sunglasses: @Jarland is a knowledgable guy and knows his business well :blush:

1 Like

If it’s half of what it looks like I’ll be the reason you’re a household name, and you can hold me to that.

I set out to turn the email market upside down and I did exactly that. Challenging the norms, showing people the great things their providers could be doing, these things I’m good at.

Just not answering tickets in a timely manner.

2 Likes

That’s alright. I’ve had multiple tickets in with a provider I pay hundreds of dollars a year to and haven’t heard anything since October :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which provider is it so we can avoid them?

1 Like

Lol you can probably figure it out by the ticket number, but I mean you get what you pay for. E3-1270v2 / 32gb RAM / 240 GB SSD for ~$200/yr. Couple other similar servers as well. 100% uptime for over a year. Solid network. Non-critical support pretty much goes ignored however.

Something I’m willing to live with for the deals they offer. Could be worse, I could be called “idiot” repeatedly via tickets :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you ever want to cancel with said provider, after nearly 3 months of no response to a ticket, just stop paying your invoices. 6 months of free service so far and not a single peep heard from said provider.

1 Like

Sounds about right. I mean I can’t really complain about the service. Been with them for a year and a half and now up to three servers. After the move in a couple months I’ll be within spitting distance so maybe I’ll just stop by one day and knock on the door :stuck_out_tongue:.

I had a hardware fault with one of my machines and it was resolved within just a few hours, so they’re at least on top of their game in that regard. Maybe my experience was different than yours. Two of the boxes are paid annually and one biannually, so not sure if they wouldn’t terminate my servers after a nonpayment.

2 Likes

Let me know when you do. Ill give you a to-do list for my servers there =D

2 Likes

I just wanted some additional IPs, 1 week delays in ticket replies, got them everything needed after like 3 weeks of back & forth - then completely dead air. So I just forgot about it, didn’t see the renewal emails - then randomly checked it about a month after it was supposed to expire and it was still online. Still online to this day. Paid quarterly, just shy of 9 months in now.

1 Like