Storage Box

Looking for an affordable storage box to store backups.

Any recommendations?

Right now only 100 - 200GB but of course that is growing.

The more space, the more copies I can keep :slight_smile:

Why not use GSuite unlimited for ~£8/m? :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting Idea… :thinking:

The only caveat is that you need a domain…but I imagine most people here have at least one. You can upload up to 750GB per day, and download up to 10TB per day. There are ways around these limits, but the vast majority of people don’t need to use them. If you want to backup via CLI, check out @Mason’s script :stuck_out_tongue:

Alternatively, check out Duplicati which features deduplication and desktop support, among many other things.

2 Likes

As long as you don’t have… complex :slightly_smiling_face: requirements and whole terabytes of stuff to archive, you may also give a peep at lowendstorage, a project started by @Mason and now curated by @uptime

1 Like

Collect linux isos like a hamster.
20TB isos and I never watch than :grinning:

Because it is Google ???

Why not support someone worth supporting? Like @francisco with a slab and a slice … 1TB for $8.50.
Or Time4VPS … 2TB for €9.99

or one of the fine providers here. :slight_smile:

That’s fair :slight_smile: Depends on your use-case though. In almost every reasonable use-case, using one of the great providers here would absolutely be a great idea. But I’m sure as shit not going to pay $1260/m for the storage for my Plex server :sweat_smile:

Indeed! Sometimes one just has to sell their soul to the devil. :stuck_out_tongue: Understandable.

But we all know that ‘unlimited’ doesn’t mean unlimited. Or does it actually, in this case??

1 Like

People have had more than 1.1PB there, so even if it’s not actually unlimited, it’s unlimited in the sense that ~99.99999% of people would never even get close to hitting any form of cap.

2 Likes

Check out our this weeks mega deals that will go offline tonight? :slight_smile:

1 Like

:unamused:

They’ve never enforced the 1TB per user if fewer than 5 users clause. Your storage won’t be limited.

1 Like

Interesting :face_with_monocle:

And when they do? I doubt anyone is following it rn so I guess they’ll just yeet any excess stuff into oblivion

If they do, I’m sure most people would either pay for 5 accounts (because it’s still worth it), or move to Dropbox for about the same price as 5 users with GSuite. I personally have 144TB on mine, a friend has 1.1PB. Google definitely know, people have been doing this for 3+ years. They probably don’t care.

2 Likes

They’ll start caring if a large number of people do it to the point where it becomes unsustainable. 1.1 PB of redundant HDD space costs a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How old are the accounts? My guess is it’s only enforced on new accounts?

Nope. A friend signed up last month, it was still fine. That clause has been there for as long as I can remember, including when I first signed up 3ish years ago.

Probably. But they haven’t cared up until now, so I’ll enjoy the ride for as long as it goes :sunglasses: