Streaming Music Servers

Anyone tested Navidrome? :slight_smile:
(Also has a github repo.)
Looks quite young/new …

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t bother with it since it doesn’t offer an Android app. It exposes a lightweight subsonic API so you can use those apsp, but then we get back to the fact that those apps feel bad to use, and don’t support on-the-fly playlist editing.

1 Like

AirSonic and play:Sub works well, but AirSonic actually uses around 4-500 MB’s of RAM … that’s more than Plex … Gonic using ~13 MB, but doesn’t work too well with the client/app …
PlexAmp works nicely (I miss repeat/loop and shuffle already selected active playlist), but I have some hours of work ahead to fix metadata … Beats me why I have to edit an album, for it to recognize the already scanned metadata/album art …

Plex’s metadata handling is driving me nuts. My files are perfectly tagged, and for some albums it refuses to load the album art not matter what I do. And for some albums it makes some crazy wrong connections for artist name. I fix it (edit and save), then boom, it jumps back to wrong artist name …
Kinda frustrating when it’s otherwise quite good. (Hope I’m not driving everyone crazy by reviving this thread …) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I agree with album art, I have no idea why Plex does it. You can normally just edit it and the correct one will show up on the options.

The tag issues sound down to settings though, as I never had that.

Hahaha… did you ticked Prefer local metadata on your music library setting?

Even though I have proper metadata on every file, I leave it unticked. Plex will automatically detect the album/artist from their database. So far, less than 5 from my 1400 albums need manual fix matching…

This was discussed earlier in the thread :slight_smile: Local metadata is better if your source content is properly tagged. Relying on Plex when you have 18000 albums becomes problematic lol.

2 Likes

What @Wolveix said … :wink:
I guess it depends on what kind of music you have as well. I probably have some rarities and uncommon tastes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Kinda fun to see how many of my tracks come up with no similar tracks in PlexAmp … :laughing:

I’m considering keeping AirSonic and play:Sub around as well. There are some benefits with those as compared to Plex&PlexAmp.

2 Likes

I tried to use local metadata before, but plex still scanning from its database, since then I did not use any local metadata for music identification.

I also learned this and commented on this earlier in this thread:innocent:

Assuming it was genre you also struggled with, there’s another setting under Advanced, in addition to the “Prefer local metadata”:

But I still have a few files/albums Plex seems to struggle with. I have no idea why, but it won’t read album art … Checked with tag editors, and they look fine. (AAC/m4a files, ~300 kbps)

1 Like

For the album art issues, most albums are fixed as you describe, but a few of them were persistently unrecognized by Plex. I tried changing filenames (remove non-7bit-ascii characters, like Norwegian æøå) and rewriting tags (make some minor change to all songs) and rescan library.
The I found that this was messing up things, seems I have to:

1. Move away the originals
  2. Rescan library (so the files are properly removed)
  3. Fix the filenames
  4. Rewrite tags (last time I used mp3tag tool, not sure if it does it better than other tools)
  5. Re-add files to library
  6. Rescan Library

(This fixed all the issues with these albums.) :slight_smile:

For the tag issues, I have no idea. I try to change artist name for some albums, and they just pop right back unchanged. (It jumps back to “Album Artist” tag content embedded in the files, as I on purpose have different Artist tag and Album Artist tag for these albums.) Anyways, no big deal …

Main feature I miss in Plex/PlexAmp now, is the loop and shuffle features mentioned previously. :slight_smile:

Testing AirSonic Advanced now … :sunglasses:

2 Likes