Top 5 Things You Look for in a Hosting Provider?

Agreed. We operate our own servers in our office, but the cost is exorbitant compared to leasing a rack from a known DC with more peering and transit providers and DDoS protection. As a small provider with only around ten servers, simply cannot match that infrastructure. I guess the only reason why we continue to host by ourselves is for instant hardware access if machines go down :slight_smile:

We are thinking of releasing some low end products, and we’ll colocate servers in the cheapest good (Enough transit/peering, n+1 power) data center we can find for that.

How can you normally differentiate between a company that colocates with their own AS and hardware than a host that’s made to deadpool?

1 Like

Leasing rack space (even just 1RU) is fine, I was thinking more about hosts that use a $40/month Hetzner server for their hosting company that charges clients $10/month and don’t provide many value-add services (like phone support) on top.

This is totally anecdotal, but in my experience, the hosts that deadpool are usually renting their equipment. Have there been any major hosts that have deadpooled recently that owned all their equipment?

Absolutely. Hosts that deadpool are usually using rented equipment. I believe HostDoc is an exception, though.

Wasn’t HostDoc renting equipment too? I remember they used OVH in some locations.

Apologies for the late response on this thread. Thank y’all for your responses, it is much appreciated. I hope you are well and staying safe during these difficult times.

1 Like