Using custom hostnames @ MXroute

Presumably it makes no difference that the certs are different on the main site and the mail site?

Ta.

Nah it’s all good :slight_smile:

Probably a flat fee for the ability to hand out Comodo AutoSSL certs, I’m sure Let’s Encrypt has a similar deal with their top level CA.

I picked up another MXRoute account (gotta get in on that 50% recurring discount before they all get used up), and was able to setup my DNS & manually run the LE AutoSSL instantly. No issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

It worked!

When I add an email as SMTP in Gmail, it automatically detects the hostname as server.mxroute.com. Any idea how this happens? It should be mail.mydomain.com, I think.

Interesting q.

Wonder whether @Jarland (now he’s deprecated his own dns) has thought of using dnsmadeeasy.com for mxroute DNS in the way mailchannels is used but for dns.

I dunno, I wouldn’t expect autodiscover to work though.

server.mxroute.com, not sure where it grabs it from.
Autodiscovery requires you to have the auto discovery records, as per

Host to publish in the SRV records for Outlook autodiscover support.
Microsoft® Outlook®’s Autodiscover service searches DNS for an SRV record for an email inbox’s domain that points to a particular server for Autodiscover. By default, this server is cpanelemaildiscovery.cpanel.net.
This setting allows system administrators to perform the following actions:
Choose the host that the system publishes to the SRV records.
Change the default host if they have an SSL-enabled host with an SSL certificate that a Certificate Authority signs.
Use their own server for Outlook® Autodiscover. Enter that server’s Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) in the available text box.
When you enable the Host to publish in the SRV records for Outlook autodiscover support feature, the system queries the server that you specify for the Autodiscover settings. You must have a custom XML file for this feature to function properly.
This setting defaults to cpanelemaildiscovery.cpanel.net.

I guess that’s it. You’d need to add the SRV record for your domain :stuck_out_tongue:

server.mxroute.com = the hostname of the server where I am. Didn’t want to put the real hostname

I don’t have those SRV records. I will try soon. Not an important thing actually.

Thank you!

1 Like

If you don’t have the autodiscover records setup then it’ll default to your mail server. If you’ve configured xyz.mxroute.com and haven’t yet switched your MX record to mail.yourdomain then it would obviously suggest that. Other thing they may be doing is following the cname to the main host.

1 Like