Web Hosting Control Panels

I always liked Vesta, it just seemed like the right balance to me for a simple panel. Deb/Ubuntu, lightweight, etc. Only problem is that it kinda sat dormant for long periods and the main dev gave zero fucks about security.

Playing with the Hestia fork and this is fantastic so far. Disabled all the stuff I don’t need at install and it’s running a nice little lamp stack using ~125MB of ram with me playing around in the panel.

Will have to spin up some more experimental installs with the multi-php option and whatnot, but I really dig this.

4 Likes

I did try out Hestia, I just wasn’t keen on the appearance. Though, given the amount of time I’ve spent modifying the templates for Vesta, I’m sure it would’ve been fine. Maybe I’ll revisit it, though I’m not sure how well our modifications will translate over to it. Our current setup is built off of this Docker image.

3 Likes

Does have a bit of a Web 2.0 feel at first glance (think it’s the blue glossy-looking top bar)… but I think the UX and layout are better and I’m not too concerned about having the flashiest thing. Looks better than a lot of other free panels I’ve tried.

If it has a template/skin system then maybe it’s worth creating a new one? I just think the feature set and security updates will out pace Vesta with @Falzo as part of the team on this, I know he was a Vesta power user. So to me that’s enough to set it apart and back it ($$) as long as it’s active.

3 Likes

Yep, I think the blue bar was the worst part. But I’ve stripped all of that out with Vesta anyway, so it’s not really an issue anymore. Without properly playing around with it, I would imagine that it has the same template support that Vesta does.

It looks like they’ve implemented a lot of things that I have as well (security etc.). If they could just make a Docker image of it, I would happily switch over :wink: I’ll probably make one myself.

2 Likes

I’ll happily pass on your feedback @Wolveix & @Harambe

templating has been discussed and might come in the future, but after the initial rework of the UI that has been done so far, we are more looking into cleaning up / rewriting the backend code.

I can’t and won’t promise anything in terms of roadmap or dates. for now I am happy with the devs that are really engaged with it and having their own ideas about what to do next.

as posted over at LET, the whole thing was more or less the attempt to be independent from a single dev running vesta. so let’s see where this might take us :wink:

and just to clarify on my participation, I don’t really code for it because I simply lack the time. however I have quite a few instances running and happily try and review whenever I have the time or something new is available. also I think am quite good in tracking down issues and hopefully solve problems or find workarounds, so probably in the end be more of a testpilot here rather then a real contributor.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input @Falzo! The lack of templating is a real shame, but it’s completely understandable given how large of a task the conversion has probably been. I look forward to seeing where the project goes in the future and hopefully we’ll transition over to it at a later point in time, but the lack of templating right now unfortunately means that I won’t be switching to it.

2 Likes

Do you know if there’s a way to tie that to your actual account?

If you’re all into Wordpress, you can’t beat Centmin Mod

Read this post from @eva2000

1 Like

It was mentioned earlier in the thread :stuck_out_tongue: You can’t really beat it in terms of performance, but it doesn’t have a panel so it’s unfortunately not really applicable for this thread.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly once you install it, they generate a licence key that is on your server. I will try and dig the location so you can store a copy.

Edit: found it /usr/local/apnscp/config/license.pem or you can download a copy from the panel itself.

1 Like

Thanks, seems kind of backwards having to install it on a server to get a license key. I’ll have to spin up a Hetzner VM later and grab my copy. Wouldn’t mind developing a WHMCS plugin for it.

2 Likes

I don’t tend to use control panels - usually either plain Debian or something like this: https://sympl.host/

1 Like

5 Likes

2 Likes

Is Patrick “SecNinja” on Let ?

Yes. He’s just acquired a licence for CyberPanel to test

4 Likes

Those with DA. What plugins to look into?

I’ve been doing some research and it’s seems that CloudLinux, Litespeed, CSF, Softaculous, SitePad are all natively supported. Although not got an install to check yet

2 Likes

Hell no

/nginx

3 Likes

Yarp, I installed the DA version for CSF and some custom recommended rules online. I sorta wish @Francisco was doing Softaculous licenses on the El Cheapo so I could get that up right away. Understandably not on their priorities.

1 Like