[Weekly Poll] Code Source & Version Control Software

What’s your preferred software for controlling/versioning your source code? Wasn’t really until college that I started using source control, mainly for group projects and such. I’ve used SVN, Team Foundation Server, and Git variants over the past few years. Currently, GitHub.com is my preferred source control for open-source stuff, while a self-hosted GitLab instance is my choice for private stuff, and finally BitBucket for work stuff since we have an Atlassian stack. How about you?

• GitHub.com
  • GitLab.com
  • GitLab (Self-hosted)
  • Gitea.io (Self-hosted)
  • BitBucket.org
  • BitBucket (Self-hosted)
  • Mercurial
  • Subversion (SVN)
  • Microsoft Team Foundation Server
  • CVS (Concurrent Versions System)
  • AWS CodeCommit
  • Bazaar
  • Something Else (Comment below)

0 voters

2 Likes

<3 Gitea

Edit: wow, you’re fast :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m tempted to give it a try to possibly replace my GitLab instance. Looks really nice. Any major differences between the two? Hopefully it’s slightly less resource intensive than GL.

While I love the features that GitLab offers, Gitea uses significantly less resources and gets the job done. It’s also incredibly easy to transition to if you’re familiar with GitHub.

If you want to give it a try, I’ll happily create a user for you in my instance. I’m currently running it over Alpine within an LXC container.

1 Like

Voted for Gitea, it’s awesome, performance is muuuuuch better than GitLab.

2 Likes

Please do, I’ll give it a small taste and see if I like it

1 Like

Oh — Gitea is much nicer compared to Gitlab. It takes much less resources; I’m currently running it on a 1 GB RAM instance (CentOS 7) on Vultr and I have no complaints!

As for features, they’re about the same. You won’t be dazzled with new features apart from some UI differences. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m running it within a dedicated LXC container with 128MB RAM allocated and half of a CPU core (a seperate nginx container acts as a reverse proxy to it). It’s not even using half of the allocated RAM, it’s great!

Though, GitLab does definitely offer a lot of cool features that Gitea does not. But for version control and pretty much everything that GitHub offers, Gitea has you covered.

1 Like

:+1: for gitea

Fossil is nice also, it’s made by the sqlite creator, and bundles a wiki, bug tracker, webserver, etc. in the repo!

2 Likes

Gogs :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should checkout Gitea sometime as it’s just a better-maintained fork of Gogs :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Flash drive

V1
V2
V3(does not work bc…)
V4

4 Likes

Gitea looks pretty cool. Gonna have some fun later :grinning:

2 Likes

We use Mercurial at Mozilla for translations… it works exactly the same way as Git. Even the command syntax is similar.

Usually I use GitHub for public projects and BitBucket for private ones (and work stuff as well)

1 Like

Gogs all day brother

1 Like

One day I’ll get into version control… one day

3 Likes

Voted… I use github, gitlab and bitbucket. Important git repos are mirrored to all 3 services so I am never without access - especially for my centmin mod lemp stack’s git repo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It occurred to me that a self-host storing application call Seafile. I am using it to replace my Nextcloud.

1 Like

Any particular reason you’re switching? I’m using nextcloud myself after moving from owncloud forever ago. Never have looked into seafile

1 Like

No, it just a very simple application. The biggest reason I replace it because nextcloud failed when I try to sync a file. Seems because its non-english. The reason I mentioned seafile in this post because they seem to be quite proud of their “Version control”.

My main storage and backup is always gsuite.

1 Like