What does it change if I buy an IP from RIPE or Afrinic

Hey guys,
I am planning on buying a /24 ipv4 network.

However I have a few questions about it.

Firstly is there a difference if I buy some IP’s from Afrinic or from RIPE.
By this I mean does the routing get slower or does it have any impact at all on something? Except the fact that it’s Afrinic?

I saw a lot of renting services, is it needed to own one ASN to rent some IP’s?

Can I route an IP to another (like a CNAME record on a DNS)?

And can this routing be billed or it’s really managed on a BGP level, or do I need a server in between?

I am really no expert on this side so I take any tips or information.

Thanks for your answer and giving me more knowledge!

Absolutely not. Routing is not managed by regional registries; that is up to you to deal with once you’ve announced the range(s).

Keep in mind that AFRINIC can revoke your space if you use it exclusively outside of the region. <— Not sure about this one actually as I don’t have AFRINIC space

I saw a lot of renting services, is it needed to own one ASN to rent some IP’s?

You don’t “own” an ASN per se — you’ll need to either pay to become a LIR or have one sponsor your registration. There are plenty of people that’ll do it for ~$50.

Can I route an IP to another (like a CNAME record on a DNS)?

What do you mean here?

And can this routing be billed or it’s really managed on a BGP level, or do I need a server in between?

Yes… all of your routing will use the B.G.Protocol. (which can be a server running BIRD, or physical router)

I am really no expert on this side so I take any tips or information.

https://dn42.us

… before you make a mistake and announce some broken route and your upstream fails to filter it.

am planning on buying a /24 ipv4 network

I sure hope you mean “rent” — otherwise you’re in for a surprise on cost (given that you’re a student).

(I assume that you’re renting judging by the latter part of your post)

2 Likes

Thanks for all your replies it really helps me out!

Sorry if it’s unclear, let’s say I own 1.1.1.1 but my server is hosted at google and it got the IP 8.8.8.8 assigned.
I want to point 1.1.1.1 to 8.8.8.8 is it possible or it’s my router that needs to do it?

Also, I didn’t truly understand the ASN part, who would I need to pay for this?

I saw that a lot of IP brokers provide the IP Transit service but it costs 1$ per TB which is fairly expensive at my taste.
Is it possible to route it myself in a Hetzner machine or such?

I still don’t understand what you mean by “point.” DNS is fundamentally different from routing; if you’re looking to tunnel between your own space and “8.8.8.8” – sure, you can accomplish that w/o any rented space.

Are you sure you want to rent space w/o knowing what an ASN is?

You really should go about setting up a test environment on DN42 (where you’ll learn what an ASN/autonomous system number is).

Either way, I’d define ASNs as “organizations” that announce a set of prefixes. I’m not sure how to explain this fully, but, an ASN is essentially a number you are assigned (for example, AS577 is my ISP’s AS number) and you use this to identify yourself when announcing routes/prefixes.

Uhhh, why are you trying to get transit? Unless you’re looking to run your network independently of an existing one (i.e. you have a router and you’re paying someone to be connected to their network through private transit), you won’t really need this.

If you’re renting a server from Hetzner, you will not have the ability to announce your own space. Also, I don’t quite understand what you mean here by “route it myself.”

2 Likes

I know this isn’t a high quality post, but just to reinforce yeah I would basically do a deep dive on routing if I was you. Before you get started.

2 Likes

Well, concerning the ASN I didn’t understood from who/where you can rent it, not what it is. But thanks for the detailed explanation I will do a try of DN42 but mainly for the BGP/Transit part.

Concerning routing my self I founded my answer alone. The question was quite stupid

At the end I checked it with on of my co-workers, and my idea wouldn’t work out.

But I learned a lot with my stupid questions, I will check your website and do look more in details all this part.

The question wasn’t stupid - just wanted to let you know about the potential dangers of playing around with routes on the actual Internet.

You really don’t want to be the guy being forced to explain to your upstream when you leak a bad route (and their filters don’t catch it). Next thing you know, your server might be max’ed out on port speed as people are routed to the wrong place.

2 Likes