• SK Hynix
  • Toshiba
  • Transcend
  • Western Digital
  • Other brand

0 voters

Such a thing does not ball me you know.
I buy only by experience and reviews.

Which makes me skip the QLC entirely and I am just down for the GOOD GOOD Shit.

I mostly use Samsung for SSDs, just because they never failed me, and performance & endurance vs. price is quite good. Once tried the WD SSDs but they were just way slower than the Samsung ones.

HDDs its mostly Seagate in the DC and in the NAS for backups. They just work well and are cheap.
Also, have some WD Black/Red/Greens at home, had sometimes DoAs with WD Reds.

(on a side note, SanDisk is owned by WD, Crucial is Micron re-branded, OCZ is Toshiba)

1 Like

Crucial + Samsung (SSD), WD for HDD.

1 Like

Don’t really have a preference per say, just mostly bought WD for some reason.
Other than that whatever the laptops have been delivered with, currently a Samsung NMVe.

I have a very poor experience with Seagates HDDs. I bought 4 x 4TB Enterprise 7200rpm a bit more than 3 years ago, 3 failed, luckily 2 failed under warranty.

I’m sticking with HGST, Hitachi and Toshiba since. WD Enterprise are also good but pricey. I have been suspect of the consumer models since they started selling SMR drives using the same old model numbers. Particularly WD Reds.

For SSDs Samsung, Micron and Crucial.

4 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think WD ditched the HGST brand some time ago?

Yes. They are WD Ultrastar now.

1 Like

I’ve seen enough shit happening there, eh

1 Like

Crucial MX500 1TB for 96,51€ in EU:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B078211KBB/

Scam, I paid 87€

For harddisks, Hitachi are not the most silent, but they are quite consistent with good MTBF.

Tupperware

4 Likes

You can put them in a microwave and nothing happens.

Well here in switzerland pay 14,16 more euro’s and you get it here :

100 euro in NL :

https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B078211KBB

Minus 21% VAT if you order from outside of the EU.

Samsung SSD

I’ve only got bad experience with Crucial. Upgraded an old laptop with an MX500 somewhere in early 2018. A couple of months later, the SSD stopped working. Dead. Got a replacement that worked for three months: dead again.

This time I requested a refund from the store, bought a Samsung 860 Pro and never looked back.

So yeah, N=1 but I’m not taking the risk of a Crucial in my pc anymore.

Crucial is ok, but indeed a hit and miss sometimes.

This is why I included ADATA and Patriot in my choices.

Both are very reliable, and strongly undervalued.

ADATA uses ECC checking and high quality SLC for DRAM :

“Low density parity check error correcting code has been implemented on the Ultimate SU800, leading to a massive reduction in data errors and an equal increase in data integrity. It therefore protects your valuable content against corruption to a much greater extent than non-ECC SSDs or even SSDs that use basic BCH error correction.”

https://www.adata.com/en/feature/410

And Patriot… I still own some Patriot USB sticks from the 2000s that seem to last forever. :blush:

I heard about some good experiences with Patriot’s latests NVME offerings.

I’ve had good luck thus far with ADATA, but you do need to check the specific model. Some of theirs have no DRAM or other issue / things to watch out for. The SU800 specifically, yeah. I have like 5 of the 1tb and 1 of the 500gb of that model in various things.

I also have an XPG branded (same company) 2tb nvme drive and another 1tb and a 500gb nvme that are either adata or xpg branding.

I was sad when they finally hit new financial year and had to start charging tax on the amazon.ca store lol They were a great deal with no tax :wink:

1 Like