What Is Your Preferred Shell?

Indeed! Now just trying to find a simple way to deploy the same config on my servers… :stuck_out_tongue:

I use the pure theme personally :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Private git repo somewhere is easiest way to have same config. I run gitea for some misc things including that. Can run it in a docker or just install on a small vps

1 Like

Cool, I will think about that. :slight_smile:

Personally, I just have a private S3 instance (using MinIO) which I pull using Ansible or a simple Bash script whenever I deploy a new server.

1 Like

Sea shell

Any shell that gets the job done.

Hahah i started with Fish Shell.

Reminds me of:

2 Likes

raises hand I caught the Zsh zombie virus from my old dev job when someone had this awesome oh my zsh theme using Powerline. I use it with Guake on Linux!

1 Like

I am still using fish at work :smiley: awsome shell.
At home I work with zsh.

1 Like

+1 for guake. It has its issues with Wayland but it’s awesome. And of course ZSH in rad.

Well, this poll, along with a raft of recent blogs from the Mac community for whom zsh is pushed centre stage, has prompted me to finally ‘chsh -s /bin/zsh’, after using bash for the whole of this century!

Older blogs evangelising zsh had always deterred me, focusing on the frivolous, as you type syntax highlighting, overly cluttered coloured prompts etc., but strip away the bling and there are a lot of subtle core features that are worth the change, history handling, autocompletion, nested globbing to name a few.

Not sure I’ll find a reason to use #!/bin/zsh, but early days. Anyway I’ve voted for plain zsh (no o-m-z), even though I’m only a recent convert.

1 Like

The thing with anything other than bash is that you’re immediately reducing the ease for others to deploy your scripts. Especially on Linux it is a no-brainer to use bash. I am not into making things POSIX compliant or making sure it runs on other shells, so I can use all the features of bash. I’ve tried zsh a number of times, but anything else than bash has become a non-starter. Perhaps if Oilshell becomes a thing (striving to be able to run all bash scripts correctly) I will move to that at some point.

That’s a fair point. Though I still write scripts in Bash, but prefer to use Zsh otherwise.

If you’re scripting for others then it’s best to just go with sh . I know being POSIX compliant is a bitch but it helps out in so many ways.

Now of course this is “do as I say” since everything I’ve written that is being used by others is bash , but when you get to a 2000 line script it’s hard to change course.

1 Like

That was the gist of my comment above about maybe not using #!/bin/zsh.

I’m now using zsh purely as an interactive environment, where its power lies, all my scripts are still sh or bash. Like you I can’t envisage ever creating zsh specific scripts, but you don’t actually need to throw the bash baby out with the bathwater to adopt zsh, just always script with #!/bin/bash.

3 Likes

Doesn’t it get confusing though? I used to use zsh but it affected my bash. I’d end up putting bashism’s in z and z shorthand in bash.

Not at all. While I love Zsh, I barely think about it while writing scripts.

I’m surprised Fish doesn’t get enough love. Any used both Fish and Zsh have opinions on why Zsh is better?