What's Your Favorite Obscure/Niche Self-Hosted App?

:laughing:

Haha, it was just another Bitwarden supporting post, and I had mentioned bitwardenrs without seeing (or paying attention to) the post above mine. Should’ve just edited it I guess.

Pihole’s another good one though.

4 Likes

Who’s into the Matrix and Mastodon loop?

I used to run Matrix, I liked it but could never get enough people on it to make it fun.

1 Like

URLWatch is my favourite self hosted notification tool for page changes. Simple, lightweight and a breeze to install on Ubuntu 18.04 or Debian 9.

Miniflux is my favourite RSS reader. It’s incredibly simple compared to its competition, but in recent years, it hasn’t been the easiest to setup (heavy reliance on environmental variables).

4 Likes

Welcome @Robert!

4 Likes

Has anyone tried out Dokku? It looks a bit like Heroku but self-hosted, powered by Docker. I’ve been meaning to try it out. Thinking of installing it on one of my spare VPSes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s a dope domain.

2 Likes

Selfhosted Monitorings, selfmade premium.

2 Likes

I haven’t actually set it up ever, but, from the last time I was looking at RSS options for myself, I thought miniflux could use either/or with env variables or config file?

I should finish that project… I wonder what kind of specs I’d need to scrounge up to run miniflux or ttrss or something for myself.

1 Like

I run TTRSS on my online.net dedi, but I’ve run it on a “$7 VPS” before, and on a home PC. It’s pretty light wieght, and 1 cron job will update all your feeds automatically forever. I love TTRSS!
EDIT: The android app from Google Play costs a couple bucks, but if you’re into F-Droid there’s a clone on there for zero bucks and work great.

2 Likes

I tried it out quickly in Centos on a 512mb vps using the miniflux RPM repo and can confirm that I did not have to set any environment vars directly, I just messed with stuff in /etc/miniflux.conf and it worked out ok.

Also, while this was far from a comprehensive analysis, the resources consumed in testing this out make me think that indeed it would be ok on a quite inexpensive host.

1 Like

Just came across Perfex CRM: https://www.perfexcrm.com/

Seems pretty solid, though I mainly use Pancake App (which finally got updated), but considering buying a license to try…

Using this for a while, though I must admit it’s a bit overkill:

Pretty well thought out, and useful. I only use a handful of its possibilities, but still good to be able to centralize info on special dates and so on.

4 Likes

Interesting, that looks helpful. Might try that out

2 Likes

Same. A backup of my memory is not a bad thing these days.

4 Likes

I use:

I am probably missing a lot…

3 Likes

Interesting, I had not heard of huginn and had just used urlwatch to achieve a similar effect. Might try that out to see how it compares.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to try Huginn for ages, I’ll do it this week!:slight_smile:

Didn’t know about linx & OnlyOffice (its NextCloud and Confluence integration sounds great.)

1 Like

Thanks for this. I came across it a while ago and wondered but the license key bit turned me off. Appreciate knowing it’s worth the effort.

1 Like

I didn’t like the key either at first, but 3CX setup is way easier than FreePBX. I couldn’t even get FreePBX working at all… :blush:

Also, 3CX has fantastic apps (for Chrome browser, Android, iOS, Windows, Mac) that work very well.