Which Region to prefer for Cloud?

Hello Guys,
I am the owner of CloudMate, Based in India.
I am planning to setup a new Cloud Company with few other Indian Owners. My question is which region should I start from?
Primarily, We were planning for Singapore or India but still need your input in it…

India isn’t through ramping up, the country’s overall contribution to tech is not yet in it’s golden age, but it’s well on its way. That’s what I think, at least. That’s why I think an India location for a cloud pop is a solid investment.

2 Likes

The thing is Traffic Bandwidth in India is Limited. The current providers gives about 2TB of traffic in dedicated servers and AWS Mumbai region charges around 115$/TB. Thats why we chose Singapore as a First option as it gives 20ms response time to India. However, thats why are not preferring India and looking for other options…
Also, I wanna ask, why is Traffic limited in the APAC region whereas Traffic in European and American region is unlimited?

Cheaper to get an android phone and a sim card and make that into your hosting server. Those prices are insane

1 Like

Thats what I am saying… I still wonder how Netflix is still on AWS… Its a monopoly Ongoing because AWS is the only Cloud Provider in India which has a large capacity and scalabity. Rest all are small or just names.

DigitalOcean also has an indian location afaik

2 Likes

Yup.

They’re giving a max of 6TB bandwidth!:sweat_smile: and uses Colocation(custom) for their region!:upside_down_face: Now think about someone who wants to host a site like Netflix… Is 6TB even traffic for them?:joy: I am opening a Cloud Region mainly to offer Unlimited Bandwidth across all regions​:upside_down_face:

And also see the pricing, scalabity upto 32vCores at 720$/month, and 128GB RAM at 1000$/month and just 400GB-500GB SSD. I am telling you that I will offer the same at a maximum of 400$/month with all three!:joy:

I am actually starting it only to end this market monopoly of big players!:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

From what I understand in India a lot of things are based on who you know and which palms you grease, like to the point of it being necessary. I say this after extensive conversations with people on the ground there but no actual first hand experience.

I’ll bet Amazon greased all the right palms.

2 Likes

Click on the above post where I outline the specifics of why cost of hosting servers in Asia is more expensive.

Singapore is going to be your best bet to start imho. See how you can service your target market better.

Realistically, I think you should do a market study to understand the market/benefits/limitations better and then build your strategy to tackle it. Most places in Asia don’t really care about the hardware, the big price tag ends up being the bandwidth costs first and then the power costs. You don’t want to invest money into a location only to see that it doesn’t work very well.

I think India is very viable, just need to be able to negotiate well. To negotiate well you’d need to know what the DC has available and how you can build your offer to make it work with them.

I can’t say much without digging deeper into the literature regarding India’s hosting market, but my general understanding is that there’s still a ton of infrastructure problems in India.

2 Likes

Netflix Open connect is not on AWS though.

As far as I know, Netflix still uses its Object Storage and Compute for its backend. Netflix open connect is just their private CDN which is next level according to me. If they were to host their CDN on AWS, the traffic alone would bankrupt them!

I think there aren’t enough servers in South America (eg Brazil) but it’s probably because it’s too expensive there too.

Right, the whole hosting servers at big ISPs to remove a ton of internet traffic is a pretty brilliant move IMO. Can’t say I’m a fan of much of their programming lately, but their IT strategy post-net neutrality has been great.

Facebook does this too - It’s called Facebook Network Appliance, or FNA for short. Essentially it’s a CDN node that ISPs host in their own data centers, that caches the JS + CSS plus all the popular content (images and videos) on Facebook. It results in a huge reduction in internet traffic usage for the ISP.

3 Likes

Oh, wow. That’s really interesting. Obviously a huge chicken and egg issue.