Who Is Using IPv6?

But if you’re using CloudFlare, then it doesn’t matter.

Right, but then you have port/protocol restrictions.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169156-Identifying-network-ports-compatible-with-Cloudflare-s-proxy

1 Like

Not sure what the issue is. v6 isn’t backwards compatible, that’s just the way it is :man_shrugging:

Anything public facing needs to be dual stacked if you want everyone to be able to access it.

I am cheap. IPv6 = Practically Free. IPv4 = $1 - $3 each.

I’m v6-only for all the behind the scenes stuff and personal shit. Like my backup boxes are v6-only for example.

I run a lot of v6-only VMs for sites that are behind Cloudlfare or my own proxy servers.

What exactly were you thinking about running v6-only on those IPs?

I’ve perhaps got lucky and have a good memory but I’ve got a couple of /48s I can remember - as long as I remember how the /64s are assigned it’s not an issue (normally [first part]:[last digit of v4 subnet]::1)

I have difficulties in remembering IPv4 as well :confused:

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me; I might need to downgrade OWRT because my HE tunnel stopped working after going to 18.06.5, and doesn’t seem to want to stabilize.

@aaronstuder You can get a free 6-in-4 tunnel from Hurricane.
https://www.tunnelbroker.net/

If you manage your own SOHO network, it’s fairly trivial to get working with OpenWRT, and possibly still DD-WRT. Keeping it working after major upgrades generally requires a reconfiguration though.

If only applications like game servers ACTUALLY supports dual stacking… Caused me days to trouble shoot why I couldn’t connect to my since AT&T allocated one for me and thus I was trying to use it obviously over my IPv4 address (probably less congestion for it being preferred as I believe it’s “whatever works and is the fastest”). I also don’t get why they didn’t even make their config for the game server in question crystal clear that you can only run EITHER a IPv4 game server OR a IPv6 one.

Hell, I still tend to allocate x.x.y.z - x:x:x:x:x:x:y:z/64 - I don’t think I’ll need any more than that, like, ever, and it’s easy enough to match with the last octet matching across.

1 Like

I don’t quite understand this and how to use it. I understand the concept, but at a lost on how to set it up.

After you create one, there’s a neat little ‘examples’ tab that helps you set it up with a wide range of devices. Google is also your friend.

Not at all here. Plenty of v4 to go by.

Most stuff runs great dual stacked but there are plenty of poor implementations around. The only company I’ve seen really embrace it in gaming is Microsoft, the Xbox v6 implementation is supposedly pretty good. They were pushing it hard because the experience for folks gaming with CGNAT was shit.

You have to change your thinking, IPv6 is not like IPv4. /64 is the smallest prefix an end user should get.

1x /64 = 1 network. Period.

For example, if you wanted to do VLANs at home (for like guest WiFi or homelab), you would need multiple /64s from your ISP in order to create proper separate networks with all the bells and whistles working (like SLAAC). That’s why some sane ISPs provide larger ranges, like /56, even to home users.

4 Likes

I am assuming that why I frequently on the IPv6 net as well. As there likely to be less latency/congestion issues. But not being able to dual stack this game is a real buzz kill for this.

I should soon have it “publicly known” and maybe someone can do something about it since it’s completely open sourced.

So I found out that my home connection does support IPv6 and it seems to be working! :slight_smile:

It’s Comcast and they use a prefix delegation /60

It seems to be working however SLAAC doesn’t seem to working and ICMPv6 seems to be being filtered. My router is a EdgeRouter X. Any suggestions?

I have recently changed ISP and this is the only one in my country that offers IPv6 and, given that all my servers are IPv6-capable, this is a god bless. They are assigning a /56 block.
The router is severely limited in terms of configuration, and seems that opening IPv6 ports/modifying firewall rules is not possible.
In any case, I am grateful that I can reach IPv6 directly without having to resort to 6to4 methods or tunnels.

2 Likes

Starting to implement IPv6 DNS this week.