Who Is Using IPv6?

At my workplace, all of our internal services are IPv6-only. My home connection, phone, and workplace all have native IPv6, so I have no issues using it for my own personal servers. Sure, the addresses are longer, but DNS makes that a non-issue.

Mobile carriers in particular are trying really hard to avoid using “carrier-grade NAT” because it has a bunch of issues. T-Mobile routes ~94% of their traffic via IPv6 (presentation about it: https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG73/1645/20180625_Lagerholm_T-Mobile_S_Journey_To_v1.pdf). Newer phones generally always use IPv6 for the connection between the phone and the carrier, and then the carrier uses an IPv6 to IPv4 gateway for legacy v4-only sites.

Yeah, using IPv6 avoids NAT. Note that NAT is not really supposed to be used as a firewall. Your router would still act as a firewall and block incoming connections :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally or For your business(es) :slight_smile:

Sadly no ISPs in my area offers dual stack and in my country IPv6 usage is at ~4% according to Google stats, yet it’s been steadily increasing recently. There’s still some friction from some techies
I insist in using IPv6 on every public facing service and I see that IPv6 traffic on those boxes amounts to at least 35% of the grand-total, so that’s encouraging. The biggest single advantage I noticed a while back was instantaneous Inbox delivery towards gmail recipients for a new mail server.
Sure we won’t go too far until Google and similar search engines won’t start penalizing (for whichever reason) IPv4-only websites. Optimistically I would expect to reach such a goal in a couple of decades

My ISP provides a sticky /56 IPv6 prefix, so it doesn’t change often, but it is still a pain when you need to split it in VLANs.

I need to figure out if there is an easy way to do it on pfSense without having to re-configure VLANs when the prefix changes.

My home internet (comcast) wasn’t setup for IPv6 anymore, but I got it fixed. This topic is pretty old now, any updates? :slight_smile:

Sadly Comcast only provides a /64 :-1:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

RIP. My Provider i use for Home connection still dont issue IPv6. IPv4 only.

And its the only one arround here that can supply 50mbit or more :frowning:
Others like Deutsche Telekom can only do 16mbit or less.