Who was your first provider?

Yep.

My first endeavours were through a family friend at a local university.

1 Like

I can’t believe the first hosting company I signed up with is still alive:

1 Like

Lol. Adobe flash header. Haven’t seen one of those in quite some time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Load it just to see how shitty the non-actual-timed loop is. It’s amusing.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard these sounds in years…

Are they still alive?

Your request could not be completed, as the account you are attempting to reach is no longer active.

Their WHMCS is still valid so at least some fumes in the tank.

1 Like

My first host provider? Damn. Probably 000WebHost ,which was a long time ago. Then GoDaddy, then Hetzner. Been a rocky ride, but a good one nonetheless. Hetzner and VirMach are my two primary providers now, though Kimsufi and Scaleway can be useful for certain things (I feel like Scaleway doesn’t get enough love).

2 Likes

Scaleway doesn’t get much love as it’s treated as the stepchild division of Online, just how long has this SiS notice been up?

Found it:

IMPORTANT: Bucket creation is temporarily deactivated starting 2015-09-03 to preserve the service quality for current users. You will be notified once everything’s back to normal. In the mean time, users who created a bucket before that restriction can continue to enjoy them as usual.

1 Like

That’s fair. They’re definitely pretty bad with resource allocation. Although, with the volume of users that they encountered all at once, I can see some sense it in. No excuse, but I can somewhat understand it.

When I first started using them, node allocation was fine. Last time I checked, it was trash and you were pretty lucky if you were allocated the resources at all.

Nonetheless, I did find them useful…at least, until Hetner Cloud was unveiled.

1 Like

They must rent from CC. Jon will get back to you soon!

2 Likes

I remember 10 kbit/s networking and no IPv6. (to be honest, I don’t really miss them at all.)

Nothing particularly great about them, but at least the boxes were cheap?

When I was 16, I tried to use a free host to make a static programming tutorial site (ain’t that cute?).
The free hoast was called freehoastingnoads.net or something like that. Search on google.
Now either it’s been sold to 000webhost, or they transfered free accounts to them, or some other funny business is going on but if you make an account with freehoastingnoads you will somehow end up with an account with 000 webhost.
When I started to take web programming more seriously or finally became brave enough to order something via the internet (I dislike online payment as much as it improved my life) I got something at VMhaus.
Now I am on Hetzner because I can get more resources for not too much money as long as the cad does not free fall.

1 Like

One of my first free webhosts was one that someone setup to try to get people to use their godawful lexer-languages. It made PHP3 look like intelligent design.

Found it! - it was portland.co.uk.

It was so damn bad… So damn, damn bad.

1 Like

GeoCities hahaha

(that was a nervous giggle, I’m feeling old)

1 Like

My first provider was LeaseWeb back in 2005, Pentium 4 2,8ghz with 80gb HDD if I remember correctly. Was hosting a counter strike server on this which needed a special kernel to run at 1000hz. I had shared hosting before that but no idea which provider.

2 Likes

back in 2000 linux noob started out at Rackspace on AMD K6 :grinning:

1 Like

My first provider was Oliver from RansomIT! Fantastic service but lucks DDoS Mitigation so sadly had to move away :frowning:

1 Like

First shared webhosting would have probably been 000webhost, and after that I got a €10 Kimsufi box (which I have to this day)

1 Like

And paid what… $1600/m? :smiley:

IIRC was around US$550/month hehe

how times have changed for performance to price ratios :slight_smile:

2 Likes