Who's the Current King of High Resource + Dirt Cheap + Stays Online VPS?

When I’m thinking about the YOLO’ing thing I come to the conclusion that I maybe used the wrong wording. I take security very seriously. Some people even say that I’m a security freak. I have everything encrypted, my servers have few security layers including non-standard ports, disabled root login, SSH Key + Google Authentificator authorization only. Some of my servers even require Google Authentificator to use sudo (including that Proxmox instance you mentioned). It’s just that I don’t have the fear of Meltdown & Spectre because I know no one is going to access my server anyway.

Well… Canonical has free live patching for Ubuntu up to 3 machines per account (guess I don’t have to tell how to bypass that limitation?) Canonical Livepatch Service

NL sounds good to me. Maybe they have different CPUs there? Who knows? >.> I got exchange confirmation from my exchange. I’m still waiting for the money to appear on my bank account. Dunno if they have automated outgoing payments or they have to be manually verified. I’m giving them 2 hours. If I don’t receive my funds until then, I’ll pay using PayPal.

1 Like

Hah. I’ve heard of it but yet to play with it, primarily looking to patch the host nodes though and those are all Proxmox

I got the box in NL. I think you can kill & relaunch though without issues, so might be able to switch between boxes until you find a better CPU.

Can’t get mine to deploy in NL :sob: keeps erroring out. Gotta try again soon, as this was a couple days ago.

@MrPsycho - I’ve switched my statuspage over to use BotoX’s ServerStatus. I like it because it includes network traffic and ipv4/6 status, and because the clients run a python program to report the values to the master rather than having a public webpage that the master periodically scrapes.

TBH your status page was my inspiration to host one myself. I know BotoX’s ServerStaus and I decided not to use it, because it it simply uglier :joy::ok_hand:

1 Like

Worked for me on the first shot. Did you make sure you selected the right sized plan? The 1.7GB vSmall or whatever? I noticed it wasn’t the default selection, it was like 4th down in the list.

I think we gotta have a talk about your VPS’s…

2 Likes

Ugly is subjective :stuck_out_tongue: For me - the more stats, the prettier it is.

Yeah, I did. Even tried deploying one of the even smaller plans and still no dice.

:hear_no_evil: I don’t have a problem. I don’t have a problem. Okay… I might have a problem. Also, it is kinda skewed since a good amount of them are LES boxes and cost pennies per year :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ll just say, there’s a reason I don’t have a server status page…

1 Like

HAHA! LOSER!

Edit: It’s running now!

Edit2: Wait what?
Edit4: Apache’s Cloudstack is werid AF

1 Like

Ditched LET/LEB because the community was so toxic. This was back when him merely existing and advertising the brands was causing DDoS attacks etc.

I think you do have a problem :stuck_out_tongue:
Just curious, do you update them all manually 1 by 1 or you use some automation tools?

1 Like

Manually. The dedis get updated probably every 2-3 weeks since I poke around on them to check them out / change things frequently. The VPSes I’ll cycle through and update every 2-3 months. Some more than others if I happen to be using on more frequently than the rest

every virmach deals, inception hosting and vpsdime. vpsdime one is solid for my monitoring.

1 Like

Finally got one of the ikoula NL instances deployed. First one had an old Xeon E-series processor. Destroyed it instantly. Accidentally created one in France, which was stuck in the ‘starting’ phase for a good 4-5 hours, eventually got it deleted. Errored out a couple times. Then, finally got the instance redeployed in NL with a E5-2667v4 processor. Was quite the process, but we got there :smiley: Another one to add to the status page haha

3 Likes