Xiaomi

Yeah the US is bad for data privacy, but China is still far worse. US may not win the popularity contest, but China doesn’t even try to be discreet about the lack of privacy, they’re the country that captures everyone’s packets in broad daylight.

But anyway, Xiaomi has everything ahead of them if they keep pushing. Chinese manufacturing is some of the finest today, and the company is mixing price and quality like almost no one else.

2 Likes

One of @Jarland 's drunken alternate personalities must be a card carrying communist party member.

1 Like

Switched from OnePlus 3 to Xiaomi Mi A1. No regrets. My OP3’s aux port stopped functioning after a year. Not acceptable for that price tag. Their support was unhelpful as well. Told me to buy and try with their original headphones because mine may be…different. An aux port should work the same for all headphones (and I even tried 3 different ones). Feeling things wouldn’t lead any further with them I got a Mi A1 and happy so far. If it fucks up after a year or two I wouldn’t even mind that too much as it’s still a way cheaper price tag as OP3.

1 Like

The Mi Max 3 looks good

Not to sidetrack this thread, but China + spying just reminded me of the news early this year where the African Union alleged that the headquarters which China built as a gift to the organization was bugged. :smile:

China “gifted” the African Union a headquarters building and then allegedly bugged it for state secrets

China denies claims it built backdoors into African Union’s headquarters for spying

2 Likes

On a world where the US bugs its long term European allies, nothing surprises me.

1 Like

I really like everything about the redmi 4X(black version). If they’d made an upgraded version with the same looks and form factor i’d buy a couple instantly. Everyone now just makes’em bigger and bigger. Guessing that the average dick size is getting smaller and smaller…

Has anyone tried out the MIUI 10 beta yet? I’m absolutely loving it :smiley:

Can’t see any update available. How to change to the beta channel?

You have to download the beta ROM for your respective device and flash it using MiFlash :slight_smile: I’m not sure whether you need an unlocked device to be able to do this or not.

I’m lazy. Will wait the stable release.

1 Like

Any experience with Xiaomi A2 Lite? I’m considering to buy the 3GB RAM version, as it’s so cheap. Will probably flash it to regular Android as I don’t like the MIUI that much. Just wanted to know opinions if someone seen/tried/has it in person. What are your impressions about it?

Thanks!

I don’t have any experience with the A2, but the specs look good! I would highly recommend getting the 4GB RAM version though.

Doesn’t it come with Android One?

The Mi Fit (Xiaomi fitness) app has just received a complete redesign. I didn’t think it looked bad before, but I think this one is better organised.

2 Likes

Just wonder want ROM other uses of Xiaomi phones use, do you use the stock MIUI or custom e.g. LineageOS.

I normally use LineageOS as I did my previous phones but prefer MIUI interface so using that at the moment.

I think I said the same in an earlier post haha. I used to always stick to LineageOS, but I really like MIUI.

I’ve kept far away from Xiaomi as I knew a guy on G+ who beta tested them. MIUI broke so many applications that at one point, he gave up and sent all 3 phones back and returned to an ancient Nexus until his new Pixel arrived.

To me, it says a lot when you’ve completely given up and send back “free for reports” hardware.

Weird. I’ve had my Redmi 5 Plus for just over a year now (and I know many others with Xiaomi devices) and have had no issues at all.

This was something like 3-4 years ago. Like I said, he bought a “New” Pixel. It was either a first or second generation. There was something weird with how it skinned things and broke standard applications- all I remember specifically was that he had to use some weird European version of Facebook because the normal Android one segfaulted.

For obvious reasons, I can’t just go look up the post. I can, however, tell you what happened to his ancient Nexus- I’ve got it running an unofficial PureNexus 7.1 build as a backup; might drop it back to 6 because damn 7 is slow on this thing.

1 Like