Ympker's Multipurpose Kit for Debian-Based Servers

So, since I have yet to find something like Centminmod/VPSSIM for Debian,
I have decided to roll my own (in a way) to faciliate/speed up tasks.
It will let you run various tasks/scripts (which atleast I would use frequently) by entering the specific number. While some system taks/setups will be fully automated this will rarely be the case. So it won’t be an unattendant install script but rather pulling the required scripts from other Github projects and initializing the setup process in which you would then obviously need to take over and go along. It will always name the used source in case you run into any issues so you can look for ways to fix this or report it accordingly. It will also show the supported Distro versions before pulling & running the setup script :slight_smile:

So far this is just an idea of mine as of course… I could navigate to GitHub and copy the setup scripts etc myself everytime but this just faciliates some tasks and saves time. It is meant to ease my personal workflow, but you are free to make suggestions as well. I will most likely put it on GitHub as soon as I have a working version and add more “features” over time. I will also do my best to remove dead projects in the kit to keep things running smoothly. To that end, feel free to open an issue on my Github if a setup script of my kit stops working or is abandoned without me noticing. I’ll remove it swiftly :wink:

Here is some preview of what I plan the first version to include:

Github link (will be added with first functional version): GitHub - NicolasLoew/Ympkit: Ympker's Multipurpose Serverkit

Also:

To anyone (now or in the future) disliking @Wolveix involvement in this (which I highly doubt), that is to say him having taken over the wheel a bit recently, I’ll say this:

My intention was to kickstart this project to facilitate my workflow on Debian-based Systems as I grew very fond of @eva2000 impressive Centmin Mod and thought it would be great to have something like this for Debian based systems. I never planned to take all the credit. There is a reason why I shared my idea of this project with the community and if anything, I’m more than happy to see so many people getting excited about the project and contributing in several ways (commits/ideas/testing…). I take it my knowledge about coding in bash is limited and there is only so much I could have done and it might have taken me way longer to implent some things. The second goal was to learn something about bash coding along the way and your feedback and @Wolveix involvement has been contributing to that. So by all means let’s continue this cool project and make it something we all can be proud of :slight_smile:

ALSO: I did not want to offend anyone by writing this and I ahve also not taken any offense by anyone. It is just that more and more people recognize @Wolveix involvement in this project (which is positive) so I thought a statement would be appropriate :wink:

28 Likes

that looks just awesome

2 Likes

Like it, great work :+1:. Without putting too much on you will it just be for Debian or are you planning to add more OS in the future?

1 Like

I love Debian and Ubuntu. I don’t like CentOS. So… Ubuntu perhaps :slight_smile:

For CentOS you can use @eva2000 Centminmod anyway. It’ll be way better than what my project will ever be lol

3 Likes

It wouldn’t take much time at all to “port” this for CentOS or even Alpine. I would happily do that once it’s released. You could just add a distro check when running the script and then change commands accordingly (I do this with Plexus).

4 Likes

Cool project… Github ?

1 Like

As soon as I’ve got the first working version coded I’ll put it on Github (see OP).

The screenshot you’ve seen is just a sketch so far though (console + paint.exe) to give myself an idea of how I want it to look like :slight_smile: Will start some coding tonight. Gonna see how far I get as I have a presentation in Uni tomorrow…so meh… We’ll see :stuck_out_tongue:

@Wolveix Feel free to convert/fork/improve it once it’s out.

4 Likes

Sounds good! I’m assuming you’re making this in Bash/Shell? Feel free to check out my project (linked above) to learn how to deal with command flags and to achieve modularity.

2 Likes

That’s correct :slight_smile:
Will have a look! Been a while^^

1 Like

Nice. Feel free to drop me a message if you’re encountering any weird issues.

1 Like

what about Ympkit ? :blush:

6 Likes

I have actually thought about this and haven’t been able to come up with any remotely okay-sounding name haha :smiley:

ympkerskit.sh was sounding so bad so atm it’s named serverkit.sh lol.

The Repo is named more or less the thread title but I hope to improve both (scriptname and reponame lol).

1 Like

available :
YMPKIT .COM / .NET / .IO
YMPK.IT

1 Like

No love for CentOS :grinning:. Ubuntu would be a good shout.

1 Like

Ubuntu is Debian with training wheels.

7 Likes

i’m so politically correct, better not discuss Ubuntu with me

I agree. A lot of tasks will be compatible from the get-go. Especially because I have written each commands with “sudo” infront to make it even easier for Ubuntu Users to use.

1 Like

Please. Stop.

At least use lsb_release, parse /etc/release, or something, but otherwise, you’re just giving yourself more shit to deal with. You’re going to end up in hell, supporting every minor subrelease with (free) customers bitching about your inability to fix their specific apt-get upgrade that dates back to the Reagan era.

Think it through a bit more before releasing with this ideology.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I’ll remove the sudo part then and have it cater to Debian for now. Then release an Ubuntu derivate once I’m satisfied and @Wolveix might do a CentOS port (if required).

About lsb_release etc I will definitely look into the options that are presented to me but will probably tweak it later as I go (to fine tune it afterwards). I can see why that would be useful though. Never used it but I can imagine it is very similar to what @Wolveix has mentioned earlier with the Plexus project.

1 Like

You really don’t need to have separate releases. For example, with Plexus we find the distro and then set the package manager. So if the distro is debian: $packages="apt-get", or if the distro is CentOS: $packages="yum"; then just prepend that to all package-related commands: $packages install htop (as an example). Obviously there will be a few edge-cases that warrant more to be done, but that’s still incredibly simple to achieve.

3 Likes