Your preferred SSH terminal

Heya guys,

I always use Putty, but saw Terminus and Token2hell being mentioned on Discord so I wonder, what ya guys use? and why.

1 Like

I don’t use Windows much, but I either use the regular WSL/Debian terminal, or MobaXTerm.

3 Likes

I think I’ve accumulated a few of these in my life.

–

I usually just use putty. Simple and lightweight. :slight_smile:

I could see myself paying for a product if I used it a lot for my job etc.

2 Likes

Lost my :green_heart: to XShell some years ago.

3 Likes
2 Likes

mobaxterm, has a few bugs that you’ll find if you use it enough but beside that it’s really good.
xshell looks really similar, might try it one day

2 Likes

does it have sftp?

The only Windows PC I use is for gaming, and I use Powershell on it. All the other PC’s I use, running Linux, I run guake on.

2 Likes

I use the standard Windows Terminal (available in the Microsoft Store for free) along with the OpenSSH client bundled with Windows (install it via the “Manage optional features” settings page).

For editing files I use WinSCP with the editor configured to use Notepad++.

When transferring >2 files I use rsync (on Windows it works fine in WSL).

3 Likes

Tried a few but always end up back with PuTTY (actually KiTTY), like @Will says, simple and lightweight. Sometimes combined with MTPuTTY if I need to wrangle a lot of sessions.

BTW can recommend KiTTY as a drop in replacement for those using PuTTY, it’s based on (and synced with) PuTTY but has many additional features, e.g. drag and drop for quick file uploads, running local scripts etc. etc.

5 Likes

Actually I have been with MobaXTerm for quite a long time, even too if it’s a bit laggy I love it how it is!

1 Like

A bit late to the party but there’s also some nice options like that weren’t mentioned on here (or I think needs a re-mention):

• KiTTY (@cochon actually mentioned it as well. I use the living crap of KiTTY)
  • mRemoteNG - open-source tabbed multi-protocol remote connections manager
  • Royal TSX - Freemium/Paid solution that’s basically a more polished version. Honestly, not really my thing but hey it’s an option.
  • DWService - Never used it, but seems to be an interesting idea for a web-based solution.
4 Likes

PuTTY if I have to use Windows.

Otherwise just ssh inside mate-terminal

3 Likes

I’ve been using only GNU+Linux and/or other Unices in the last ~12 years, anyway I see that Cockpit seems used in production… and this eliminates the need for a standalone tool or additional package in Windows. Once logged in via browser, a terminal is available as well
Sure this assumes you’re running a properly configured and locked down web-facing service and a lot of assumptions are made (the OS is fully booted and the cockpit service isn’t failing; the web browser is trusted) anyway it seems convenient enough for most folks

2 Likes

terminal

2 Likes

Screenshot from 2021-12-09 14-01-30a

1 Like

MobaXterm has been my favourite for a long while. Outstanding software. Even just the “standard” version. Works with wine (for those ppl here running Linux) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

… and that size is unreal!

Which is why I called it spicy, for a terminal.

2 Likes

I think I found my new favorite. Probably will replace mRemoteNG.

1 Like